Hello from Arkansas

goodsteel

Hello!
I am a gunsmith in Conway Arkansas. I am dying to get into engraving, but the cost of the GRS Gravermeister is cost prohibitive. I have lots of experience carving leather, and finishing metal (obviously) and when it comes to hand tools and coordination, I'm usually a pretty quick study.

I was hoping there might be someone local that I might be able to spend a few hours who can show me some things to wet my whistle. Much as I enjoy the idea of one day owning a Gravermiester, I really would like to see how to do it the old fashioned way as first, and I learn best seeing and doing.
Can somebody help me out?
Thanks a million!

auto45lee

Come to the Arkansas Custom Knife Show Feb.21 and 22 Statehouse Convention Center 101 E. Markham.You will be able to make contacts. GRS may be there and you can talk with those nice folks. Email me info@fergusonknives.com with your mailing address and I will send you FREE pass to get in.

goodsteel

OK, I watched the video on my phone (hope the data charges don't kill me LOL!)
Very very informative! I could tell he was really rusty though (ha ha!!)

This is very close to what I was attempting when my tools kept breaking. What steel do you guys make your gravers out of? Gotta be pretty tough! Maybe I should take another run at it, but temper the gravers a little more. Hmmmmm.

Thanks for posting!

goodsteel

Come to the Arkansas Custom Knife Show Feb.21 and 22 Statehouse Convention Center 101 E. Markham.You will be able to make contacts. GRS may be there and you can talk with those nice folks. Email me info@fergusonknives.com with your mailing address and I will send you FREE pass to get in.

Done! Thank you sir!
I think we may have met at previous shows. Seems like I remember your name.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there's much information here. excellent advice and many, many tips here. alls ya gotta do is read and take notes. best of luck in your endeavors.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I'm not "spritely" either (coming on 73) but I find an optivisor works great for me and has for many years. I find a scope too confining in body movement. As a "once upon a time" Arky (Arkadelphia) I wish you well. Engraving can sure get under your skin!

goodsteel

Sorry, I was having trouble posting.
What I meant to say was that I am 34 years old, and I use optivisors regularly for checking and cutting pearl inlays for gunstocks. I think that may work just fine for me. Eyestrain is greatly reduced for me with just a standard 1.5x (I think?) visor.

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Since you are in Conway you are not too far off from me here in Mountain View. If you can get some time to come up you are welcome to come to my shop and I can show you a few things.

Rod

goodsteel

Since you are in Conway you are not too far off from me here in Mountain View. If you can get some time to come up you are welcome to come to my shop and I can show you a few things.

Rod

I've spent a lot of time in your town. Used to play banjo on the square up there (bout 6 years ago now).
Is your shop on the square? What's your trade?
Thanks for the generous offer!

goodsteel

I would like to purchase the tools used in Sam's video. A square chisel and a chasing hammer.
Can you fine gents make sure I buy good quality tools? I'm not looking for the most expensive, but I want the best bang for the buck erring on the side of quality rather than cost (this is how I buy tools).
Any opinions?

For the moment, I'm not looking to do anything like what Sam accomplished so easily in the video (and Sam says: "yeah right. Only took 30 years and 10,000 hours" LOL!), but I need to be able to make a few simple lines in mild steel (gunsmithing work).
Any help would be appreciated.

goodsteel

I poked around on ebay and found really cheap chasing hammers but there are all different head configurations. I also found lots of really inexpensive gravers. Looks like the GRS ones are some of the highest at $13ish.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRS-Tools-002-115-Glensteel-Square-Gravers-/231070632402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cce209d2
For some odd reason I thought these tools were more expensive than that?

Any opinions on the face diameter and shape of the chasing hammer? Or is it just a hammer and my little ballpeen would work just as well?
I'm tempted to go with a 1" face german style hammer such as this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-STYLE-CHASING-HAMMER-BY-EUROTTOOL-1-INCH-FACE-/300487857656?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f678d5f8

Last edited:

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know what it is about engraving but you would be the 5th or 6th banjo player (that I know of) on the forum.
Welcome.
Dan

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
That hammer looks pretty standard and should work just fine. A 1" head is common also. Besides banjo players there are several guitar players who show up at the FEGA annual meeting and usually have at least one good jam session. I don't play but have built a few guitars and ukes and Glenn Carson is a banjo builder.

I envy you the nice shooting range in your area.

goodsteel

I don't know what it is about engraving but you would be the 5th or 6th banjo player (that I know of) on the forum.
Welcome.
Dan

It's not that hard to understand Dan. The Banjo is a musical fire hose. It's loud and obnoxious and can be completely disassembled with a Craftsman wrench. It's got more metal in it than a 57 Chevy, and yet has a beautiful steampunk look to it, and sound that could almost chop wood for you, its so sharp and clear. Not only that, but if you dig on metal engraving, the only instrument that gives you more canvas is a dobro or an all metal resonator guitar.

Latest posts

Sponsors