Question: Hello everyone.

lorry66

Hello all,
I have been involved in making gold and silver jewellery at an amature level for some years now and am now keen to raise the level of finish via engraving.
I have a great workshop with all of the equipment to melt, form, shape and finish gold and silver alloys. I sell most of my pieces (reluctantly) via word of mouth only, but now seem to be getting too many orders for individual/unique bangles and rings.(time..i need more time)
I have just purchased the GRS Standard QC 901 handpiece, foot pedal and remote air filter regulator. :biggrin:
I also purchased a dvd from sams site on graving and am keen to get started.

What i dont have yet is is the actual tool heads and wondered if anyone knew where these could be purchased and posted to Australia.
I would also like some suggestions on reasonably priced sharpening systems as I currently have nothing. I have seen the GRS unit, but it is currently out of my budget limits.
Great site, wonderful pieces and I really am looking forward to learning about this fantastic art.
regards, .. Lorry

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you can't afford the power hone system, get the Dual Angle Sharpening Fixture with post. Use this to establish your angles. Use stones to sharpen the Gravers. Save up quickly for the power hone: it's worth it.

lorry66

Hi Doc,
I have exsisting air in the workshop. its filtered to 'medical' grade. I also have infinite control on pressure and flow ... I hope this will suit the pupose, though admittedly I just assumed it would be ok ... gulp .. hope so! :thinking:

Thanks Beathard .. its in my favorites now :thumbsup:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lorry,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you are in for a rude awakening. The handpiece and foot pedal are connected to the controller unit. They won't work without it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you'll eventually want a powerhone. but for a low-budget-start, the lindsay system gives excellent results along with very eaasy to use.

lorry66

Thanks to everyone for all of the information posted above. With that information I put my airgraving dreams on hold. the tools I purchased were kindly purchased back by the seller. For now i will take the hammer and chisel approach and should be able to look forward to buying a basic airgraving set mid year next year.
In the meantime i have ground up a couple of hand chisels, but to be honest am not interested in re-inventing the wheel so can anyone point me in the right direction as to where i can purchse a hand chisel set to get me started. (that will post to Australia)
I already have a DVD on airgraving, and that has really got my interest up a few more levels.
Cheers,
Lorry

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Lorry, good to hear we have another prospective artisan dowunder. Give me a call sometime 07 5484 1593 and I will fill you in on all the sources for equipment in Aus. and also where to get gear from overseas. Ty

Latest posts

Sponsors