Hello and thank you, thank you!!

JenBrockman

Just wanted to say hello. I am new to engraving. I just took a class at GRS a few weeks ago with Rex. Great class by the way! I worked on drawing for months before I took the class....always a work in progress. All my equipment has finally arrived and I am finally ready to start cutting the first of many many practice plates. The last week has been a tad frustrating doing things on my own:confused:. Trying to recall all the things I learned in class and put together all the information from all of the books I have read and videos I have watched. I think I just need Rex to just move into my shop so he is handy when I have questions I need answered ;) Thank you to everyone for all of the great tips, tutorials, ect that are on this site. The support is a much needed push in the right direction for beginners like me.

Jennifer Brockman

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Jennifer, and welcome to the Cafe. Glad to hear of your class with Rex and your recent equipment delivery. Now it's time to get cutting! :)

Cheer / ~Sam

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jennifer. I'm already jealous of you, as I'm unable to attend a GRS class in my current situation. Frustration is the price we all pay, but cut, cut, cut and the lights suddenly start coming on. You were wise to start drawing early, I think it was Chris DeCamillis that told me "Good cutting can't hide a bad design, but a good design can hide bad cutting to a degree" sorry if it wasn't you that said that Chris.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Jennifer,
Great to hear you are all set up now! Things will come back to you quickly. If not, remember I am an e-mail away or someone here will be glad to help as well. You did a GREAT job in the class and I know it will all fall together. Just get back to it and makes chips on the floor!!
Rex

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jenifer.

You did a class with Rex and aren't traumatized by the experience??? :)

Now comes the fun part and the most frustrating. Practice, practice, practice, and then when you are sick of that..............do it all over again.

Persistence combined with careful observation and drawing is what pays dividends. It will be exhilarating, and frustrating at the same time. Enjoy the learning experience and let rip with the occasional swear word and you will be just fine.

Cheers
Andrew

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
As has been said, practice, practice, practice...but realize that you can buy a dozen nickle money clips from Rio Grande for $20-$25 or so, or any of a myriad of other shapes, pieces etc. While you practice, you can make gifts to thrill and amaze family and friends. Practice plates don't have to be 2"x2" pieces.
Just keep cutting and it gets better and easier as time goes by. Seems to be in plateaus...a jump in feeling after 20-25 hours, probably while at GRS with Rex. Another at 50 hours, 100 hours and so on. The key is to just keep on keeping on!

Latest posts

Sponsors