Headstall Conchos and Buckles

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Got to build some headstalls so I engraved all the hardware. The cast buckles where not all that nice to cut, very inconsistent from one to the next.

P1070202.jpg

Peter

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
The rosets are nice since they are made from sheet stock but the buckles...... you got to pay attention, you either dig in or lube the graver with a bit of red stuff. Of course the odd time you find a cave in the cast stuff ;)

Peter

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Peter,

Nice work. Don't be afraid to drop in a picture of the headstalls. I like your leather work as well.

I have some buckles like that I tried to carve on a bit. I suspect they're more of a bronze than a brass an thus the troubles.

John

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Even the material is getting some trouble Peter, I find the final result overal very well, all the items looks very nice and i have no doubt the customer will be very happy with these cuttings.:thumbsup:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
The headstalls are going to look great with those sets.
I know exactly what you mean about the cast buckle problem, I started cutting a set of cinch buckles and have found all sorts of interesting, and not so fun surprises in the brass.:mad: I had to put them aside for a while before I really screwed them up.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have some dies that form the sterling over the dees. That way the silver is contoured to fit the steel.

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks John, Willem and Golden Forge.

John, any cast brass or bronze might be a challenge if you hand push, not the nicest material.

Golden Forge, Brass/Bronze rigging plates can be full of surprises also..... you have get creative to fudge things so they still look good and its not noticeable there where some flaws in the casting.

Brian and Leonard, Thanks great idea, never thought of putting some overlay an rigging plates.

There a snap of one finished headstall.

P1070211.jpg

Peter

Latest posts

Sponsors