Question: Hard spots??

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Im just gitting my feet wet on this Smith and Wesson 4006 pistol. There seems to be hardspots in the slide. There not terrible but it's got me wondering where they came from. I know this gun has been shot alot, I myself put 100 rounds through it today. My question is; does gitting the gun hot from shooting it cause hardspots or is that always from the manufacuring process?

Attachments

• swpic.jpg
    swpic.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 184

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From the MFG some areas are spot harden for wear issues like the slide stop slot,safety notch etc

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Dave said, the hard spots come from the manufacturing process. You could concievably work harden the breachface of the slide by firing it, but you lose the ability to hold the gun long before you would heat harden it. ;) In addition to the spot hardening some manufacturers do, there are a lot of frames and slides nowdays that are cast parts, and they can have hard inclusions in them at random areas. :shock: It is all part of the joy of aftermarket gun engraving! :clapping: :handpiece:

Jim P

I just got done with one a few weeks ago. There are defently quite a few hard spots. To the point that breaking carbide tips was a problem so I changed to a high speed steel graver and steepend the face angle on the graver.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if the spots are random, which the word "spots" would seem to indicate, gotta be factory made spots. this is not an unusual condition. i happens. after you've done a few guns, that reality will come to you. i've never tried the glensteel and such, but the old carbide alloys arent too user friendly. at least that's my spin on it.

Latest posts

Sponsors