Happy day!!! My FFL arrived today

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How long did it take, Bert?
br.

I filed the paperwork in January. I had to seek zoning approval from my town. Which basically meant pay a fee.

I should also note I sought the licsense for my private studio in Middletown, not through my parents jewelry store in Frederick.

Last edited:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I'm happy for you! I filed mine in April, early, and am waiting on the visit to the studio.

Wish you all the best. We lived in Frederick, Maryland in the mid-80's. Nice place. Enjoy the holiday!
br.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks BR! Good luck with your quest too.

Frederick county is an amazing place. I've lived here my whole life. I can't imagine living anywhere else. It's changed a lot since the 80's but still has the small town feel and there's an amazing sense of community here.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It was the $250(?) fee I sent in to ATF. Plus a $50 zoning permit fee, plus the cost for fingerprinting and photos.

It was really no big deal, just took a very long time.

As long as your background is clean, and you can get zoning approval, there's virtually no reason to prevent getting the license. You've also gotta be able to show that you are for real and not just some collector looking to buy guns cheaper.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will also add that the agent that did the onsite interview/investigation was extremely nice. I feel his job was to basically cover the most important parts of the laws relating to the license and give me a stack of books and papers about the laws.

I showed him some of my sample work, my shop, and my gun safe.

He was also very on top of the investigation. He called me before I received the zoning certificate. My plan was to wait till I had it in hand to setup the interview. However he must have called the town to check the status, then he called me. It seemed as though he genuinely wanted to facilitate the acquisition of the license as expeditiously as possible.

It took a very long time to hear anything, but once the agent contacted me it went very quickly and smoothly.

Sponsors