Question: Hand Pushed lettering

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I have the opportunity to replicate a very important piece of Early American History. Myself and another member of the Contemporary Long Rifle Assoc. have been contacted by the assoc. to build a copy of the only documented Kentucky Rifle that was used at the Battle of New Orleans. A fantastic opportunity and I am honored to be part of it.

The reason I am starting this thread is the inscripting that is engraved on the lid of the Patch Box. The man that used the rifle passed the rifle to his son on his passing. The son had an inscription engraved on the lid of the Patch Box stating that this rifle was used by his father in the battle and gave dates and company information.

I am pretty sure that this engraving is hand pushed and not H&C.

Now for my questions.

What type of graver or gravers do I need to replicate this engraving?

Do I sharpen a hand pushed graver differently than the power assist?

Should the graver configuation be different as far as lift on the heel goes?

I am guessing that I should use a 90 deg. square and possibly some small flats.

I have a year to prepare and practice but I want to start right away to be sure that I can do as good a job as I can possibly do. The script engraving that was added by the son is very well done by a good engraver. It is going to take all I can do to replicate it and do as well.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Could you show us a picture of the engraving. Not that I could offer any meaningful suggestions, I'd just like to see it.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my opinion, wetter hand pushed, H&C, or using power assistance, if done right, no one could see the difference.

arnaud

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Sam it does not have to be hand pushed. I just want to learn to do it. The building of this rifle will be a documented process with most of the rifle being hand built. I thought it would be great if I could replicate the engraving as it would have been done in the time frame of the original.

Sam I am currently in Baton Rouge. I am going to be in Chile for work for the next 6 weeks. When I get back would it be possible to get with you to discuss this project.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sure. Drop me an email. Nothing wrong with learning hand-push. I'm not nearly as proficient with it as I used to be.

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Head a bit further west from Chile, Dave Alderson is doing a hand push workshop here the weekend after next!

It has been great to learn hand push work but if it were such an important piece, I would be going for the tool that I am most comfotable with. I look forward to seeing your progress with this project, please take us along with you. Ty

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Hand Pushed lettering

Open YouTube

Do a search for Sam Alfano

Look for Hand Engraving Script Lettering

Might give you some pointers

Kenneth Crutcher

Latest posts

Sponsors