hand or power tool

shadowhound

im curious what people preffer because im going to start word carving with chissles but people do use dentist type of drill these days so im curious as to what people preffer and why :)

its not a debate about who has the biggest, best im just curious on your personal opion :D

my opion is if done by chissel sure it takes longer but it gives it that special feeling that you have acomplished somthing beautiful and amazing :D

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There certainly is gratification from working with hand power as opposed to handpieces, just like bow hunting vs a scoped rifle. Sadly, neither method guarantees it'll be beautiful and amazing.

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I say use both as it suites the project. I don't do much in wood, but in metal I use power and hand push depending on what I'm doing.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Woodcarving is too generic of a term. Are you carving Boy Scout neckerchef slides out of pine...use a pocket knife. Are you carving grizzly bears out of logs...use a chainsaw. Are you carving Baroque or roccoco designs on fine hardwood furniture or high grade rifles...you better have a good set of chisels, gouges, and scrapers. Power tools are generally just for fast material removal and the hand tools do the finish work.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the quality of chisel carved wood is, imho, always superior to those carvings done with rotary equipment. check out a local carvers guild, you'll see what i mean. look at the fantastic work done by evgeni. this is a case where i think "the tool" does make a difference.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Monk about wood carving. Gouge and chisel carved wood has a look that usually can't be duplicated by carving entirely with a rotary grinder. I have used gouges mounted in my old Gravermeister to carve wood and it iooks the same as if I hit the chisel with a hammer. To me it is similar to using a graver to cut metal compared with using a rotary grinder. Rotary grinders have their place but it is mostly in dentistry and industry.

RB

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
IMHO:
With rotary instruments, with great mastery are solve problems, that You will not have, if You cut with chisels :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors