Question: Hammer and chisel

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
so I have been thinking some about supplying myself with the equipment to do some hammer and chisel work, and am wondering, what most people use as a graver holder? I know that preferences are many and varied, but i would like to here, what they are and do my own research. it would also be helpful to know where you get the holder , or how you make them. thank you so much K Frei

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
K Frei,Ngraver has Belgian steel handles for H&C engraving and GRS has three adjustable handles for push engraving. J.J.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Judith Gessner-Suhl.jpg Jean Francois Dubois 3.jpg

I prefered the Belgian handles JJ mentioned above. It seems like all of the Belgian and Italian engravvers use that type. The Suhl trained engravers use a turned wooden handle with a mushroom shaped head. My brother designed a turned steel handle that I now prefer. It has received great reviews on the Lindsay site. Here is a link to an image of it: http://www.airgraver.com/images/chisel.gif

In the attached images you can see Judith Gessner using the Suhl/wooden handle and Jean Francois Dubois using the Belgian handle.

RB

monk

Staff member
my best chisels for hammerwork are of my own making. i use long, narrow files, anneal them, & rough grind to what i want. i then reheat and quench to "draw" the temper to a proper hardness/ toughness. mine actually have no handles. after that they can be properly sharpened on a diamond hone or whatever. many here will say this is a no no, but the trick is in proper tempering of the tool. a file, as is, is quite hard-- but very brittle, and would be rather useless for serious work. the easy way, naturally, is to buy the tools from an outlet such as grs or gesswein. all the difficult work is done for you at the factory.

Last edited:

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
Wooden dowel for handles, ferrules made from cut down 308 cases.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm a wooden handle guy myself, but either steel or wood is just fine. If you don't feel like making handles, just order one from Ngraver or one of Carl's sexy shaped stainless steel handles.

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
I prefer the Japanese way of no handle. The chisel/graversbcan be as long/short and hefty/light as you need. I like the directness of hammer on steel. You'll have to make them yourself. Maybe available soon is US, made in US. ;)

IMGP0843web.jpg

Last edited:

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Jim I have to ask- what is up with the one that has a piece of copper/brass attached?
Thanks,
Phil

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,

Do you engrave using the Asian method or the European/sidehand method? I have noticed that everyone who cuts using the Asian method uses shorter chisels with no handle.

Thanks,
Roger

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
I make one piece chisels in my blacksmith shop,like Jims.
Made in US,with US steel,;)

If anyone is interested.
There is a marked difference in the "feel" of wood ,and metal.
mike

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The simplest way is to get a piece of rod; steel, brass, or aluminum. Bore a hole in one end and tap it for a set screw. If desired, you can drill, tap, and thread the other end to insert a round headed screw to keep from peening the end over. This is best for brass or aluminum.

Attachments

• DSC00355.JPG
    DSC00355.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 131

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,

Do you engrave using the Asian method or the European/sidehand method? I have noticed that everyone who cuts using the Asian method uses shorter chisels with no handle.

Thanks,
Roger
Hi Roger. I mostly use the European style as it’s more comfortable because I had done it that way for so long before I discovered the Japanese way. I sometimes use the Japanese approach if the cut demands seeing the front of the graver. I asked Amayak how it was done in Russia and he said both ways depending on the engraver. For me it comes down to what is most comfortable for the individual.

Cheers,
Jim

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to all of you!!!! there is some real food for thought here I love the way the Carl Bleile piece looks, and my Lindsey gravers would fit right in; but I think it would be just as fun to make some of my own. thanks again K Frei

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
As for the use of the hammer & chisel why do our fellow engavers across the bond engrave standing at a stationary vise vs a pedestal where you could walk around with freedom to cut your scrolls with one pass with out stopping?I started engraving over a pedestal with the hammer & chisel after seeing engravers in other parts of the world.Standing at a stationary vise to me is wasted mostion.If your going to engrave with H&C just think of all the freedom you'll have, also found my scrolls come out better when standing over the work even with power. J.J.

MexicanEngraver

Elite Cafe Member
View attachment 18877 View attachment 18878

I prefered the Belgian handles JJ mentioned above. It seems like all of the Belgian and Italian engravvers use that type. The Suhl trained engravers use a turned wooden handle with a mushroom shaped head. My brother designed a turned steel handle that I now prefer. It has received great reviews on the Lindsay site. Here is a link to an image of it: http://www.airgraver.com/images/chisel.gif

In the attached images you can see Judith Gessner using the Suhl/wooden handle and Jean Francois Dubois using the Belgian handle.

RB

Nice, very very nice, my sister engraving too she is 20 years old, and she started at 6, when she was a little girl

Latest posts

Sponsors