Hammer and Chisel effect

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
That was very interesting Chris! It's good to learn something new every day if possible and you provided that opportunity. I have even increased my vocabulary with "Festoon". :thumbsup:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Chris. Your very generous with you time in teaching us new techniques.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Chris, even while I'm still on a vacation in the south of France at the Atlantic ocean, you make me want to travel back home again and start working, more precisely doing some cutting with the En Set.

Arnaud

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Chris;

You state in your video that you are using a 100 degree graver. What angle in degrees of the face of the graver as it looks almost perpendicular?

Steve

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weird. I thought I posted already...
I was wondering if it was possible with this unit to vary the weight of the blows a little bit?
Thanks.
Looks great

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
The face angle of the tool is 50 degrees.

With the Enset Plus you can vary the force of the blows. In the plus mode you set the strokes per minute as you press the pedal the pressure increases, giving you harder strikes. It is almost exactly like a hammer and Chisel because as you cut deeper you increase the force of the strikes just as you would hammer and chisel.

Chris

axeman11

I first started out with hammer and chisel. It took some time but once the feel was developed, not too complicated. So the question is, why an expensive machine to replicate what a few dollars worth of tools and a lot practice will get you. I have also seen H and C results,with GRS units and a 710 handpiece or a Lindsay Nitro unit. So is the point being made that this unit will do what other units cannot do? I don't see any claim saying it does H and C better than actual H and C of better than other pneumatic units.

Please understand this post is in positive spirit. I love all engraving tools and would own them all if I could afford it. I watched the enset videos and cannot see anything new, except for very slow speed, the desirability of which is debatable. Will the company be around in a decade? Is service and parts available ?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Axeman: Being able to replicate the progression marks of hammer & chisel engraving can be beneficial if 1.) you're doing restoration work, or 2.) if you simply like the organic quality of those marks. I'm an old hammer & chisel guy myself, but if I needed or wanted the look of hammer & chisel engraving, I'd much prefer to do it at my bench with my ball vise and microscope as I'm no longer setup for hammer & chisel engraving (stand-up vise, etc). Can I engrave with hammer & chisel with my present setup? Yes, but it's awkward and considerably slower than using a handpiece. I hope that makes sense.

mrthe

I think that is a very good feature,and thanks Christian to show to us this video,is important know what can do a tool expecially if is new in the market, like Sam say if you are doing restorations works or if you like this type of marks cuts in the metal,is a very good feature,all the way i don't know if i remember bad but i had read time ago, something writed for Sam about that with a GRS unit you can make the same using low stroke speed or a expecial setting of the machine, i own too al Magnagraver II handpiece that i had never used after buy my airgraver but to make this type of cuts i think that can work perfect too for this reason i haven't sell it hehehe.

tonyleefrost

Hey all! First, a little background: I don't advertise much and seldom get on the forums as I can't keep up with the work I have but I've been engraving, predominantly, firearms for the past 20 years - period "Western" engraving. 90% of what I do is 1st gen Colt restoration and museum, historically accurate replicas for collectors. I've engraved over 100 SA's, lots and lots of DA's and quite a number of Winchester and Colt rifles along with a hefty share of modern - not tooting my horn - just so you know I know quite a little about period engraving and styles - especially chisel or progress marks. Most of my customers are pretty adamant about having the progress marks as close to the original engravers style as possible - I've spent the last many years studying, under microscope and enlarged photos, the works of Nimschke, Helfrecht and Young - some of their progress marks are just the result of natural H&C chasing. Some are very stylistic in nature - each with their own little special flare. Yes, I've had to do most of this work without modern equipment and tried, for the sake of the modern market always wanting faster and faster turn over rates, to use various GRS machines and hand-pieces. I contacted Chris some time ago - before the Enset came on the scene - and we discussed various ways of trying to match these late 1800 style engraving progress marks and we tried some different things. Just couldn't get the GRS systems to hack it. Then, the Enset! Chris has been great in working with me on this extended project and, I must say, with the Enset Plus, a couple little tweaks by him and me to the hand-piece, and I have been able to achieve almost exactly the variation, depth and length of the progress marks in my work - my customers are VERY pleased - as am I! Of course, to achieve some of these results also require the gravers to be sharpened appropriately - trial, error, but most importantly - success! It is the variable heavy impact and variable slow speed that are essential to achieving those progress marks. I can now produce replica and restored antique firearms at a fairly accelerated pace. Many, many thanks to Chris for working with me on this. If you're into restorative engraving or just interested in that H&C look - contact Chris. He is still working with me on perfecting this even more. While I haven't had much time to experiment with contemporary engraving with the Enset I can see how, with the two different modes on the plus unit and the ability to change weights on the "hammer", this unit could be the sole unit for many, if not most engravers out there - whether firearms, jewelry or whatnot. Oh yeah, almost forgot - I've been doing a lot of motorcycle part engraving just recently and this unit it GREAT for doing high relief as well...

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have tried this machine. It seems to me if you were replicating H&C there would be less tool breakage being less ackward than H&C,which would give you more work time between sharpening. This machine can really pack a punch if you want it to, or it can be very delicate with fine lines. One thing I did notice when doing bright cut is that it gives an amazingly bright surface to the cuts. Maybe in part to it's ability to make cuts with a longer stoke (maybe Chris can explain that). Also the graver doesn't seem to want to dive. For diamond setting you can raise a bead with as little as one pop if you know what I mean. I think chris came up with another great tool for the shed.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Tony for your comments. I am glad it's working well for you. Mike. I have had quite a few people tell me it seems it cuts brighter. I have to admit that I don't know why for sure I have some theories but no real facts.

Thanks to all who have given positive reviews and encouragement.

Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors