Question: Gun question

hello all,

I have a client that has a Kimber Rapide Scorpius and wants me to hand engrave it. Has anyone here have any expirnece with this type of pistol? or it a no no to add to list of guns not to engrave??

Thank you for your help

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
hello all,

I have a client that has a Kimber Rapide Scorpius and wants me to hand engrave it. Has anyone here have any expirnece with this type of pistol? or it a no no to add to list of guns not to engrave??

Thank you for your help
From what I can tell, it has a dlc coating, giving it a diamond like finish. Not great for engraving

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Matt, I believe the finish is a frosted mat finish that can be engraved no problem. J.J.

I just cut a Kimber. It was black but my research (and talking to a professional gun finish/ hot caustic blue guy) led me to believe that the black is not a traditional oxide finish and because the kimbers are usually some grade of stainless they often could not be blued either.

I told my customer this and that my best advice was to let me buff the flats to in the white, engrave the gun, apply ink to the engraving for contrast, then be somewhat careful to occasionally oil & gently wipe down afterwards because stainless Kimbers gained a reputation for surface rust due to their alloy choice.

The gun cut fine though

I just cut a Kimber. It was black but my research (and talking to a professional gun finish/ hot caustic blue guy) led me to believe that the black is not a traditional oxide finish and because the kimbers are usually some grade of stainless they often could not be blued either.

I told my customer this and that my best advice was to let me buff the flats to in the white, engrave the gun, apply ink to the engraving for contrast, then be somewhat careful to occasionally oil & gently wipe down afterwards because stainless Kimbers gained a reputation for surface rust due to their alloy choice.

The gun cut fine though

Attachments

• 4B1F4FF1-98E5-4B05-81E9-5315255210B7.jpeg
    4B1F4FF1-98E5-4B05-81E9-5315255210B7.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Sponsors