Gun blueing Question

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
I am working with some gun blueing products trying to figure out how to do a minor blueing removal on the backstrap so it can be engraved. I am playing with a product called blue wonder. Any help would be appreciated I have no problem setting out at the Cowboy Sharp Shooter Annual get together to get $ 25 - $ 45 Engraving jobs on their guns and knives. I am going to by a C/B gun to get started on I also want to show up at their show in August of 2013 with something to show them that I can do the work. They already like what I can do on knives and jewelry. This is a very low cost show for me. Their Annual Shoot out in August is 8 miles from my house and they are not going to charge me to setup a booth. So it is three days of being around something I grew up with. I still remember when I was about 4 years old watching my dad do some quick drawing when the gun went off and he shoot through the front window ( he never did that again infact he would not let us touch a gun until we went through out NRA training ) WE moved to Arizona and I grew up with cowboys. Tucson is the only town that I know of that schools shut down for Rodeo Day.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

I liked that rodeo. I think you will do good at the show.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill
I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. Are you wanting information on removing blue or a quick reblue after you engrave at the show.
To remove the blue just use plain old Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner. Birchwood Casey Super Blue is good to replace the blue. However what I have seen some people do at these shows in order to do it fast and cheap is engrave right through the blue and then just touch up with the cold blue. Not the best protocol but it works for them and their clients who just want something fast and cheap.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry everyone my post sounds like a person who had nothing better to do than just write a bunch of words. It does not
make sense and I apologize . I had this comment on the end of "A New Gun " thread I really had a question about Gun
Bluing the rest was just rambling ( old man syndrome )
Fancygun your info was what I was looking for
Thanks

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Bill, I think you are sailing into rough waters. I have professionally reblued hundreds and hundreds of firearms over the last 30 years. The problem with those little touch up cold bluing formulas is that they continue to rust days weeks and months later. If you want to take off bluing in your shop, you can polish it off with 400 or 600 grit emory cloth or bead blast it. At a show it is not a good idea to polish off the bluing. I suggest engraving the lettering then rubbing in some bonanza gold dust with the glue it comes with. The gold doesn't work well with a matt back ground. If all else fails oil works well.
Good Luck
Ed DeLorge

Latest posts

Sponsors