Guild show ettiquette

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been thinking about the upcoming show and reflecting on my first few shows and think a thread on how to enjoy, behave, and benefit from the show may be helpful. So all who have attended are invited to throw out a few thoughts.

-The best time for critique and help is Monday. Some are not able to stay over so here are some other possibilities. For those displaying this is an important opportunity to network, get work, and find a way to make it pay. We gladly welcome questions and try to help new and progressing engravers when we can. The key is to recognize that during show hours a priority should be given to the walk-by traffic, aka potential new clients, and visit with the exhibitors during slow times. If you can get in early before public show hours that is a good time, after hours at the local gathering place, watering hole or whatever you want to call it-why don't they serve something good like a milkshake or chocolate milk-is also good. Some of us are long-time friends but we welcome newbies at gatherings and it is not an elite clique that requires anything beyond regular decent behavior and courtesy-hmmmm I may have to rethink that so I'm not shown the door. Just listening in can provide valuable information just ignore Marty's stories.
-About the third year of displaying I came home and realized that I had benefited more from that show any other regarding acquiring useful information. I was far enough into engraving and my understanding to be more specific and focus on just a couple of things. Before there had been a wealth of information and my small intellect was overwhelmed and too many things mushed-technical term used by Idaho farm boys-together and very little learned well enough to be fully useful.
-When you introduce yourself also reveal your cafe name if applicable. I am sequestered, exiled, quarantined, relegated, etc.. to the garage and do not get out much so I may know you only as so-and-so on this forum.
-I couldn't care less what equipment you use and don't apologize or explain to me why you use a particular system. I have very close friends using every tool imaginable. The basic concepts of engraving, drawing, and design remain the same regardless of tools. If I want to know I will ask and I sometimes do because I am always trying to learn.
-I am not interested in Amway. If you buy me a meal don't couple it with a sales presentation.

OK someone else's turn.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for posting this, Lee.

I attend mainly to listen, learn, meet new people and try to be helpful. If I can get new client or a bit of work out of it, all the better. I always get new ideas while I am there. I recommend carrying a small a notebook and a camera.

I have found that everyone I meet at FEGA has been generous with time and advice.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty has no stories to tell Lee. He is retiring. Its all up to you now.
BTW. Show etiquette states a collared shirt and clean shaven. ;)

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Define clean shaven. I plan on clipping the nose hair and shaving the ears. Marty's stories are delightful, educational, and of no use.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Clipping nose and ear hairs will work Lee. CYA there and it will be fun being of no use for a change.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee has brought up some excellent points. If you are a first time visitor to the FEGA show, remember, that for table holders, this is a business opportunity. I move about and talk with the exhibitors but the moment a potential customer approaches the exhibitor's table, I clam up until I see if it is a potential customer or not. If business starts being transacted, I excuse myself and move on. Monday or after show hours are the best times to ask for advice. I will add that Scott's Engrave-In is the best place to get advice and have casual interactions with other engravers because there are no potential customers there. On the other hand FEGA is the best place to see the ultimate in contemporary, award winning engraving. There is nothing else like it.

Cmason16

This will be my first time at the event, so I appreciate the info. I definitely second Roger's comment regarding Scott's engrave-in. My first one was this year and I plan on being back. Scott is a great host!

Latest posts

Sponsors