GRS Standard Block Ball Vise Lubrication

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
When I try to level the ball in the tire, the ball does not move smoothly. What should I use to lubricate the plastic inserts in the tire?

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, have you checked the nylon bearings for chips? Maybe you have some small chunks there,if so scrape them out, CARFULLY. I don't think you want to oil or grease the nylon bearing points, they would just collect more junk.

scott99

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, have you checked the nylon bearings for chips? Maybe you have some small chunks there,if so scrape them out, CARFULLY. I don't think you want to oil or grease the nylon bearing points, they would just collect more junk.
scott99

I'm referring to these white plastic inserts in the tire. They're pretty clean. Is this what you are referring to?

GRS Ball Vise Tire.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Put a little wax on them. Be careful though, you may find that it tilts far to easily. I tried a touch of oil, way to slick. furniture polish did the best. Fred

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Put a little wax on them. Be careful though, you may find that it tilts far to easily. I tried a touch of oil, way to slick. furniture polish did the best. Fred

Thanks, I tried some Renaissance Wax & it moves more smoothly. Not as smoothly as I'd like, but acceptable.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
There are different lubes for different purposes. My older GRS block has what appears to be stick-on, teflon impregnated fibreglass little squares. From your photo, they seemed to have replaced these. I think the original material is available, in sheets which I obtained years ago, from some of the woodworking supply houses, or maybe McMaster-Carr. As for the screw threads, and flat roller bearing, do not use any petroleum based lubes here. There are sprays around, of which mine keeps hiding on me, that will dry into a wax film that won't attract dust and repel chips. Still, periodic maintenance is a must, with a thorough cleaning, and appropriate application of some lubricating medium. . .there's no way around it.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi again in response to your question,I do mean the little plastic disks. If you look closely you will see little chips in yours, I can see them in the nice photo you took. Try scraping then away, I bet she will turn fine then. DON'T SCRAPE TOO MUCH, just to get the chips out.

scott99

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
After a while the matt finish on mine started to wear off. I eventually polished the bottom and occasionally use Johnson's paste wax on the ball, not the pads. Of course, this may be a matter of user preference if you want a vice that moves this quickly/easily.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I would agree that cleaning up the bottom of the ball and waxing is the better way to go. I would stay away from any silicone if you like to use any sort of patina, silicone will play havoc trying to stain woods or coloring metals, great stuff in the proper use. This information came from a friend that does a lot of restoration work many years ago, so I have always kept that in the back of my mind, so take it for what it's worth, lol. Best of luck.
Mark

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
This is what I did. I have this stuff called hexa boron nitride. Its like a white graphite but way more slick. I use this mixed with carnuba wax to coat my long range bullets. I took this same wax/bn mix and gave a good coating to the base of my vice and presto. A little bit of this stuff goes a LONG LONG way if anyone wants to try it I will mail you some.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
This is what I did. I have this stuff called hexa boron nitride. Its like a white graphite but way more slick. I use this mixed with carnuba wax to coat my long range bullets. I took this same wax/bn mix and gave a good coating to the base of my vice and presto. A little bit of this stuff goes a LONG LONG way if anyone wants to try it I will mail you some.

I'd like to try it. PM sent with my address.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not sure how your setup is. i made an apron or skirt of light guage nylon fabric. i duct-taped this to my ball vise just below the jaw adjusting screw. doing this, let the chips fall where they may. none find their way into the base and bearings this way. no, using the apron still allows free use of my left hand to turn the ball. it never interferes with normal operation.