GRS Sharpener posts

erikgem

I read the reviews on the forum about the GRS Easygraver sharpener, so I bought a couple. My GRS post was a little short, 30 years old, so maybe they have changed. I worked out some new more rigid posts. Mounted a piece of 1/2 inch aluminum jig plate to the sharpener and tapped a bunch of 1/4 - 20 holes in a rough grid shape. The posts are 3/8 " drill rod, threaded to go into flange nuts. The bottom is faced off slightly to make absolutely perpendicular. The bottom of the rod is drilled and tapped 1/4 - 20. I tightly screwed in a cap screw and then sawed it off 1/2 " long. The Easygraver fixtures are heavy, so I am experimenting with a spring to slightly balance the weight. Just a 3/8" collar and a lightweight spring I got out of an assortment from Home Depot. I drilled an oversize hold in the center of the GRS post base. It is usually a little tippy. I can screw it down solid with a little shim under it to get a relief angle on my 105 degrees with the Easygraver sharpener. The posts also work good with the other GRS fixtures. I can leave several set up and shift from one to the other when I need different spacing. If they get in the way, I can remove them in seconds. I usually just finger tighten them.

Dave Anderson

Attachments

• GRSsharpener.jpg
    GRSsharpener.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 174

Latest posts

Sponsors