Greetings from sawdust land

BWoodworker

Hello all,

As my screen name implies I have been doing woodworking as a hobby for about 20 years. I have decided to try to add some engraving to continue to elevate my game. I enjoy adding marquetry and various inlay in my woodworking pieces and I would like to be able to engrave the hardware and screws that goes into my pieces and ultimately some tools, maybe some endgrain too? I have always loved engraving and got to see some amazing pieces at Blade show and Shot show a long time ago its been in the back of my head ever since.

I hand sharpen my woodworking tools so I plan on learning to do that as quickly as possible with gravers. I will probably use a jig or two to learn what is correct so I can replicate it. For the moment I have few push gravers, just received a GRS magnablock and some other odds and ends. I have a compressor a Makita 700( https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/MAC700 ) I think it has plenty of output for most of the power graver systems.... but I am concerted about if I an use it since its an oiled compressor. Is oil separation and filtration sufficient or do I need to look at an oiless compressor as well? For the next few months at least I will be doing push and hammer and chisel till I recover funds from the vice and learn what I need and want in a power graver.

Anyway I am sure I will be asking lots of questions so thank you in advance, I look foreward to getting to know you all better.

Brad

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome 2 the forum. as for the oil question, i'd seek the answer prior to purchasing a specific model. that way you cant go wrong.. good luck

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Although the GRS engraving systems need oil-less air, GRS sells an oil-type compressor as its quietest one, so they can be used. However, you need to add an oil filter kit if your oil-type compressor does not already have one on it. GRS sells those as well.

BWoodworker

Thank you Allen I am doing the Standard GRS vs Lindsay debate with myself. I am not opposed to one or two oil filter setups. Perhaps run an oil trap then a line from the compressor to another tank followed by another oil trap. Let the decompression cooling drop more of the oil and water out. My planned workspace is about 15 feet from where the compressor is kept. Right now I am working on my woodworking bench but metal shavings and woodworking dust dont play well with eachother. On the othet hand if I need to buy a second compressor its not the end of the world either. Small oiless compressors are pretty inexpensive.

Latest posts

Sponsors