Question: Graverhone/gravermax shaping/polishing

Shaunjarvis

I’ve been making 1.5mm fishtail rings out of 14k yellow gold and using 60 and 90 cmax gravers. I’m getting lines in my cuts. I am getting the graver completely mirror finish so I’m stumped. As you can tell from my post I’m new to using gravers so I’m likely missing something. I’m using a microscope so I can look at the graver and the cuts and can’t figure out the issue. Was wondering if increasing my spm might help? Is there a standard? Could it be my pressure when I’m making cuts? I’m not sure how hard to push into the metal with the belly. Anyone know of a good resource? Or have any experience with this kind of work? One thing I almost forgot is that it almost seems like the edge of the belly to the face is a little rough even though both surfaces are flat and mirrored..
would appreciate any help. I’m in Portland Oregon in case someone knows anyone here who is into engraving

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
firstly: you should let the tool do the work. you should not have to push the tool at all.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
You mentioned "lines in your cuts." What kind of lines and where in the cuts? Can you post a photo? Are the lines on the outsides of curves? If so, your heel may need to be shortened to limit heel drag? Have you examined the graver cutting edges with a high-power loupe? Are there chips in the edges?

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
If you are getting the same lines in each cut it means the edge is not competely sharp. It may be mirror bright but if you have a scope take a good look at the edge as AllenC says, the cut is made on. If you are cutting counter clockwise that would be the right side. If you are cutting clockwise that would be the left side. If it looks okay than take a piece of copper and cut two identical curves, both wide if you can. See if on each the lines are in the same places. If they do, its the edge, If they don't then follow AllenC.'s advice on heel length.

alwayslearning2012

:::Pledge Member:::
I was taught in class that heel sharpening should be done side to side , not front to back. " or the micro-grooves of the sharpening process will show in the work". In my limited experience, if the lines you're seeing are parallel on the walls of the cut you're making, it could be the graver needs sharpening, or that the walls of the cut are so reflective, they appear to have lines. You are cutting gold, which I understand is very soft. Or maybe a combination of both.

Last edited:

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I suggest using steel gravers. They will take a high polish and give good results. Cmax gravers are easily chipped along the edge and point. Steel gravers should cut the gold easily. Cmax are made by compressed carbide dust in a wax like cobalt material. I think that is the way they are made. I could be wrong, but I know they are easily chipped.

Latest posts

Sponsors