graver sharpening

Hi folks,

I'm almost afraid to ask the question. I have been reviewing the various threads on hand versus fixture sharpening.

Wow, it's easy for you all to get off on a tangent. Ha!

If it makes you all feel any better after my last comment, any forum like this I have ever been on have these conversations.

Try asking a group of blacksmiths which is better, a new cast steel (not cast iron) anvil, or one of the old hand made wrought iron anvils? Boy will that fan the flames!

Relevant engraving question follows.

I have finally gotten a little cash to spend on a real sharpening fixture. I made one that worked but it's limited. It will put a nice point on a 90 degree graver though. I had a great time making it. I considered making a dual angle fixture but I think I would rather cut practice plates.

I have been looking at the two dual angle sharpeners that GRS sells. The one with the QC collet system and the more universal Dual Angle sharpener.

I have decided on a GRS system rather than the Lindsay templates for a very simple reason, GRS has been extremely helpful and generous when I have needed help with equipment or advice. JB is a great guy. I want to repay him for being so kind. I know Steve Lindsay is a great person as well, don't misunderstand me there.

I use the QC collets on the gravers I use, right now they are all 90 degree, 45 face, 15 degree heels. I would like to try some different graver geometries just to see how they work.

Is there any particular difference between the versatility of the two dual angle sharpeners GRS sells? Are they pretty much comparable accuracy wise?

Buying a fixture is all about buying accuracy I think.

The money is close enough I'm not going to put that in the equation.

I like the detent feature of the QC sharpener, any reason to choose the other Dual Angle sharpener over it?

And for you traditionalists out there, I know I should learn to hand sharpen. I also use a modern cast steel anvil! :)

Thank you!

Regards,

Matt

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Matt,
With the dual angle you can sharpen any graver, including ones in the collet. I don't know if you can do that with the QC sharpener. Therefore, it is my opinion that the dual angle is more versatile. You can also replicate any of the Lindsay grinds on it if you know the angles.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They do make a QC adapter that goes into the dual angle fixture as well.
What I have seemed to notice is that western style engravers seem to favor the QC fixture and gun/knife engravers seem to favor the dual angle.
I like the dual angle and find it easy and fast. Your mileage will vary...
And... yes.. JB is a GREAT guy. Great tech support and just good guy.
Rex

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Both the GRS fixtures will work to make any graver you can think of. I have them both and use them both. One thing that works well for me is the QC fixture when my gravers get small (and they start small due to my small hand size). Then I can pop them out and put them in the QC fixture where there isn't enough length on the graver to use the duel angle in that situation. Of course, like Rex said the adapter will cure that problem as well. The QC has stops at the 45 degree marks, but if you loosen the knurled piece you can rotate it to any angle.

I would also concur that JB is a great guy. =)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, it's easy for you all to get off on a tangent. Ha!

yes, we are easily distracted by shiny objects and engraving is pretty much nothing but the study, creation, & celebration of shiny objects. so therein lies the problem...

Hi,

Just to let you all know, I bought the Dual Angle sharpening fixture. After your advice and talking to GRS I think it's probably the most capable and accurate.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Matt

Latest posts

Sponsors