graver polishing

woodduck24

Hi Folks,
I'm having trouble finding a source for the 3M .5 micron polishing paper. Can anyone help? Rio Grande has discontinued their old stock and now want to sell only bulk quantities.
Thanks for any help.
w

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i got mine at lee valley tools. they are online. a graded set was less than 30 bucks, shipping included.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
May I ask why you use paper rather than a diamond charged plate, are there advantages?

Bob

monk

Staff member
just a different way to skin a cat. you can also use wet & dry paper that is "worn out". the 1000 grit when worn out can be used to polish. rouge on paper or leather. lots of ways to get this done.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you're polishing carbide, a cast iron lap treated with diamond spray is the best way I've ever seen.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
4/0 emery paper, rubbed down with pencil graphite, has always done the trick for me.

Yes, it works very well on HSS gravers. Carbide is a different animal. I don't think emery paper will have any effect on carbide.

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Just recieved my Spring 2013 Kingsley North, Inc, catalog today. They are a lapidary supply company. They have PSA diamond disc top plates for laps up to 3000 grit for $22.00. They also offer dynalap diamond film disks from 1,200 grit to 100,000 grit. I believe these could be mounted on a plexi-glass circle, they retail for $13.95 each. I have no financial connection to these products, FYI only.

monk

Staff member
good idea. i've actually charged old cd disks with carbide grit and used them on the old model grs power hone.works for some things, somethings not. the thicker plexy would be a better choice i would think.

Scottyd

I use a white ceramic stone from Lee Valley. Costs $30 and is 2" x 4" x 1/2" and is 8000 grit. It gives an adequate fast polish but not as good as 50k diamond spray on a ceramic disk.
Scott

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You could go down the Japanese water stone route with abit of nagura added but It's abit messy.

i briefly experimented with those some years ago and found they're way too soft for tiny graver points. they scratch & score with the lightest touch. they work great on wider wood chisels & plane irons, but gravers are far too narrow.

Latest posts

Sponsors