Announcement: Graver-mach max smith: no longer CE approved and cannot be sold or bought in Europe

ahenson

Yes, I'm the Creative Director (in charge of videos, web, print, etc) at Glendo. ;)

I paint, draw, hand engrave, and make beaded jewelry in my spare time, so I usually don't post about work on here but the topic seemed to need some clarification.

There is also an article on the GRS website about this; it is showing up as a featured article on the home page now since this has sparked such interest. Hope that helps!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, someone has their wires crossed on this one.

GRS equipment is alive, well, readily available and for sale in all the EU countries. Same with Turkey.

I know this because I've met many of the dealers, demonstrated the product in their countries, and met a huge amount of people that use the equipment.........oh yeah, and their accents were definitely not American :)

So something isn't quite right with this one.

Cheers
Andrew

I suppose you didn't have the right info Andrew, we in the EU cannot have all the GRS equipments, a Turkey might :biggrin:

arnaud

ahenson

This change just started on October 1st, so I'm sure not as many people know about it yet. :)

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
There are a lot of things that need to be ok'd by EU criteria, I think It's a lot easier for companies to produce for "registered dealers", can't see any problem whatsoever.
If a bigger GRS purchase costs abit more so what...you can re-claim the expense from tax & know that you have lifetime lasting product.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What constitutes as "CE Approval" for engraving equipment is the same that applies to all other electric and pneumatic equipment per the EU directives. The rules are complex, but the issue of GRS machines being available in Europe is simple: yes, they are.

So only the GRS Tools you buy in Europe are CE approved.
Does anyone know if the Lindsay is CE approved ?
Could be the same problem when ordering in the US you live in Europe.
Or are there European retailers for the Lindsay?

arnaud

mrthe

Arnaud there arent European retailers for the Lindsay products, and i don't think that they need CE approved because are products not included in any category where is mandatory have the CE Approval and is not in itself a dangerous tool and even less has any electrical or electronic component.

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud, Lindsay probably doesn't need the CE Approval since it is pneumatic only, but I might be wrong.

Peter

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Any tool that uses compress air should under EU law should have safety approval with certification
even a simple tyre pressure check gauge technically should have a certificate as it is used
in conjunction with high pressure,
this new rule from GRS could in fact be opening a can of worms that may affect us all .:thinking:
Ray

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Whatever you do, do not swallow a tool that uses compressed air. If you do accidentally swallow one, then do not induce vomiting and seek medical advise. :)

GRS in fact have a different part number that is modified for the EU countries that meet the requirements. They are sold through the dealers over there with all the usual quality, guarantees, backup service, etc, etc.

So the end users (us, the engravers and jewellers, etc) aren't going to be effected, just the manufacturers that have to comply with each countries regulations. This means that everything carries on as per normal and you can purchase the tools if you so desire.

You have to remember that this is all normal in the world of international trade and companies in every sector of export have been dealing with it for the last few hundred years. Manufacturers and exporters alter products to meet each countries legal requirements.............So nothing has changed.

Cheers
Andrew

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
WHO IS KIDDING WHO
Does this mean that grs is now producing two versions of the machine and that other than the voltage issue between USA and EU would be the main area that would be in conflict whats really going on, I have just been back on GESSWEIN'S and GRS site ?? it cant be the hand peices that are the problem ( or do they cause white finger here in europe ) it looks like one can still buy a hand peice direct ??
and also why is the POWER HONE compliant and the others are not I think this is comeing down to the EU dealers getting in a twist and trying to close direct sales from US surely GRS could just make all machines EU compliant and they would I am sure be ok for USA
I am sure they are making them all the same and just not affixing the sticker to the machines for the US so they can't be sold in the EU so if they are making TWO models who's going to pay for that ie end user is it going to be folk in US or the Eu customers ??
I think this comes down to what GRS is doing. I think this is nothing more than a way to stop the European community from buying from the states could be illegal because they are using it to prevent free trade in the market place but that would be a question for the courts. :thinking:

But then it could also be that the US goverment see it a national security risk sell these tools to europeans as we could use them to tunnel in to the US and take over TODAY GRS TOMORROW THE WORLD VIVA LA TOOL :rolleyes:

WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO TELL THE TRUTH ??????:shock:

Ray

Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
As of October 1, 2013, GRS is manufacturing versions of the GraverMach AT, GraverMax G8, and GraverSmith to better comply with regulations in countries of the European Community (EC).
This is copied direct fronm GRS site

What does this mean for European customers?
CE-approved equipment (with new product numbers) will now be available from dealers serving countries within the European Community. This version is compliant with EC regulations for electric and pneumatic equipment.
Non-CE-approved equipment, which will continue to be sold under the original product number, will only be available for customers in the USA and non-EC countries. Only dealers within the EC will have access to CE-approved equipment, so customers should be aware of this when considering a purchase.
Have I answered the question and only the numbers have change WOW we get our own numbers I wonder what my number will be I shall let you know thats if I am allowed but I may have to kill you if I do has the world gone :banana: :banana: :banana:
or is it just me ??? :biggrin: maybe the number change is in the intrest of national security as I mention in other post
Ray
The red is my highlights not GRSssssssss

Last edited: