graver doesn't stay running

Jesse Kaufman

As i am new to engraving I have been having a problem keeping my graver running. I have a Lindsay artisian. It works well except it want's to stop running just as I'm about redy to start to cut. I have adjusted the regulator {idle knob} to the instructions given me. I CAN get it to stay running but it seems to then run to fast. Some evenings it runs perfect all the time. I come back the next evening and change nothing and I have problems. Can someone give me some advice. Thankyou. Jesse:thinking:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hi Jesse-

Steve Lindsay's forum is all Steve, all the time, 24/7/365. they LIVE to talk about him & his stuff over there. that's where i'd start.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
SOunds like you need a good cleaning Jesse. Pop the black rubber cap off drop the piston out the back and clean the bore with a Q-tip. THen clean the piston with a cotton ball and alcohol.

You may need some extra filtration on your air supply. Dirty air is the the bane of all pneumatic handpieces no matter what the brand.

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Sounds like it may be dirty.....clean it with a q-tip and alcohol....If all else fails call Steve Lindsay and he'll help you out...

Roger

rsharrard

You may have the idle set to low too, if you follow the instructions steve gives you, you can reset everything back to the way it was when shipped. I know if I set the idle too low some times I have to do as Cat said or just give it gentle shake and we're back in business.

Jesse Kaufman

Thank you all for the help. I will work on cleaner air as Ray said and clean the piston and barrel as well. I really appreciate you folks and your WILLINGNESS to always help out us newbies. Jesse

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
as an example of how important clean, dry air is, i've owned an early model airgraver that Steve specially modified at my suggestion (http://www.mrmengraving.com/images/bio4.jpg) almost a dozen years ago. it's ultralight piston allows it to run with only about 2.5 psi- it's a very, very delicate set up. i've used it for probably 5,000+ hours and have NEVER had to clean it. a really good set of filters on your compressor will solve a lot problems for both these & GRS machines...

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you may also want to insure your tank pressure is generous for the task at hand. i set the tank pressure to about 65 psi. i run the tool at about 50-55 psi for heavy stuff. when the tool is in your hand, rotate it vertically to about 45 left-then back to45 right. if you hear or feel the piston shift, it's clean to go. if the piston wont slide, or hangs up, cleaning is needed.
be advised-- the tolerance in the bore is extreme. if a single cotton fiber remains in the bore, the tool wont work !!

Latest posts

Sponsors