Help, please: Gold and copper plating restoration on engraved knife blade

Photojeg

I have a knife whose blade has gold and copper decoration over carbon tool steel. The gold and the copper need restoration as some has rubbed away. The canoe and three figures are in gold and the banner, oars and baggage are in copper.

Here is a photo of the knife blade in question and another photo of one that has an undamaged plating.

Can anyone help me to find someone to restore the plating?

Thanks,
Jim Gates S-L 02s.jpg Shaw-Leibowitz -s.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you're brave, you can do it yourself. i've done it with good results. it would also depend on how thick you want the plating to be. go to www.caswell.com ther's enough info there to let you know if you want to diy. the copper solution is around #11.00. the gold around $45-50 bucks, the plating can be done with a common wall wart. although they will sell you one totally suited for the purpose. if you like i can give you much more in the way of instruction if you like. 724-678-7855 between 7:30 pm & 1 am est.

Photojeg

Thanks for the information

Since my hands are partially paralyzed from a spinal injury, I cannot do it myself. I hope to find someone who can do it for me.

Jim

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try a local jeweler. There are not many who would take this on but the right guy may be willing. It may be possible to touch up with a pen plater and then again it may not work. This is finicky stuff.

Latest posts

Sponsors