Garage News: The Captain and his lady

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Finished yeah. Until one of you points out egregious flaws or the need for modifications, amendments, alterations, of plastic surgery. I've included a couple of closer up shots.

Attachments

• DSC_0089 (2).jpg
    DSC_0089 (2).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC_0088 (2).jpg
    DSC_0088 (2).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC_0088 (2) - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0088 (2) - Copy.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC_0089 (2) - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0089 (2) - Copy.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 289

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Lee,

Did you do the entire job with the Enset? What percentage are cut lines vs dots I assume you are stippling with the tool . I know I am able to stipple and not raise burs plus I can control the spacing as needed. Are you experiencing the same thing?

The depth and dimension you are achieving is amazing. The work looks crisp as well. Your work is amazing , world class .

Make castings !

Chris

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee,

Super work as usual!

I noticed that the lock on the captain's pistol is on the left side. Not unheard of but very rare. Come to think of it I wonder why flint and percussion lock hammers are on the right side of the gun when a right handed shooter's thumb is on the left side of the pistol? Maybe it is because a right handed shooter gets less flash in the face with the lock on the right side? Who knows. Sorry for the digression.

Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, as i see it-- i'll give this work an honest critique when you mail it to me. want my address ????

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for kind comments. We who post say this repeatedly but it is sincere and heart felt.

Now to try to answer questions from this and a previous post.
- I'm using thermoloc to hold the knife and so far no damage has occurred to the bottom side. The real danger seems to be with the top side. Me with a sharp tool in my hands is the real risk. I would welcome comments from the engravers on this forum with a wealth of knowledge and experience regarding care, handling, and holding of knives.

-I used the Enset on much of this. Almost all of the stippling was accomplished this way. It has a number of adjustment possibilities giving it a wide range of cutting and stippling applications. I have just begun to explore and learn these possibilities. By nature I suppose am given to experimenting and questioning. Some pressures and stroke lengths I tried seemed to work well and others I tried not as well for this piece but maybe somewhere else. The other tool I use is the Gravermach with the Magnum handpiece. It is at the moment my preference for scroll shading and I have used it for a lot of bulino over the years. This may well fly in the face of conventional wisdom but then I started this quest with a homemade hammer, homemade hand piece, and bag of rice for a vice. We farmers are resourceful not to mention desperate.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Lee, A few years back Ray Cover wrote an excellent tutorial on handling high end knives as I recall. Talked about preventing tightening the action and pivots while doing inlay and the recommended methods for insuring that that does not happen. I really remember his advice that if you do tighten something. send it to the maker. Don't try to fix it ourselves. I imagine you might remember the write-up. If not I will search it out.

Really outstanding work with theses pieces
Fred

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for kind comments. We who post say this repeatedly but it is sincere and heart felt.

Now to try to answer questions from this and a previous post.
I would welcome comments from the engravers on this forum with a wealth of knowledge and experience regarding care, handling, and holding of knives.

Great work Lee,

On the knife part.... keep them sharp and fingers out of harms way ;)
I suppose you mean holding hem in a block not cutting leather....

Peter

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the link to Ray. He is one of the outstanding knife engravers of whom I was thinking.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice work Lee. I have to agree with you, the En-Set has a lot different adjustments for fine tunning. I like that about it. But with that comes a learning curve that is worth the effort for sure.

Latest posts

Sponsors