Question: French Grey

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly (Always a possibility!), but I thought that we were supposed to use Phosphoric Acid to French Grey. And, I thought that many mentioned a product called "Sno-Bowl" toilet bowl cleaner as a good product for this process. Well, I went to the store to get this Sno-Bowl and read the label and it says that the active ingredient is HCL or Hydrochloric Acid. Does it matter which acid you use?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
traditionally, phosphoric acid has been the common acid for de-bluing & french greying, but any number of acids will work. hydrochloric (aka: muriatic) is often found in toilet bowl cleaner & other household products. i've also seen dilute nitric used for greying.

personally, i usually use naval jelly, which is gelled phosphoric. whatever you try, getting an even finish can be a trick depending on steel alloy, etc. lots & lots of tricks to successful greying, especially doing it selectively around engraving & blued areas- maybe check the tutorials.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've used all of the above and they all worked equally well for my projects.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brownell's sells their RUST & BLUE remover and it is phosphoric acid and a bit pricey. Farm & Fleet/Tractor Supply sold this stuff called RUST BUSTER---same thing, much cheaper. Naval Jelly is really nice because it's easier to keep from oozing all over the work.
Never tried the toilet bowl cleaner but there's no doubt it would work just fine.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phosphoric acid leaves a gray deposit of iron phosphate on the metal. It is not an aggressive acid. Other acids give their matte finish by etching the steel and are more aggressive. I always had problems with after rusting when using muriatic acid. If I remember correctly, Parkerizing is done with phosphates.

capece rocco

Elite Cafe Member
you put inside the bottle of acid little part of brass until the acid don't made bubbles,
and the particule of brass when you put on the gun protect it

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you put inside the bottle of acid little part of brass until the acid don't made bubbles,
and the particule of brass when you put on the gun protect it

never heard that before. you learn something new every day...

Latest posts

Sponsors