Question: French grey

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
I have been reading about French Grey by the use of Phosphoric acid. I understand that its applicaion must require very careful use of whatever tool, brush,ect but would like to know if people use a masking technique or not? Backing up a bit what IS used for application brush, stick or something I haven't even considered.

I am brand new with this process and any help would be appreciated.

scott99 :thinking:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott
Lots of different methods , John B , uses a 3 m auto product ( try the search function). I use hydrochloric acid based toilet cleaner about $2.50 at the grocery store. FYI French grey is bare metal, unless nickel plating and has to be protected from rust. Hope this helps Dave
Also navel jelly will do the same thing but the liquid toilet cleaner works better IMHO, scrub the part with 0000 steel wool and the cleaner, avoid the fumes, wear rubber gloves

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was cleaning the garage today going through boxes and looking at all the papers therein before tossing them out. I came upon an old email I had printed out from John B with his dip method spelled out on it. I of course set that paper aside, now I gotta look for my big black cast iron witches brew kettle...

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
I will take a picture and list the ingredients of the concrete etch liquid I bought at Home Depot, it makes a nice French grey. For masking use a black sharpie marker, the acid will be resisted by it and naturally it's a breeze to apply. It works wonders for bluing too!
Paul

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
A Sharpie marker thats one I would never have come up with. Just goes to show if you don't know something ask and many times you will get a surprising andswer.

Thanks scott99 :bow: :bow: :bow: :happyvise:

nhcowboy

I recalled that Sharpie marker masking idea from a craft store one time, where they acid etched copper sheets and I asked how they did that-with a Sharpie (Black is best). I use it all of the time and it really saves some time when cold bluing and being able to not have the acid work at your mountings is a real bonus for a French grey dip. It's one of the best simple things in the arsenal! I merely wipe the marker off with acetone when I'm done and everything is fresh and clean as can be. I'm so glad I asked the store clerk, otherwise I'd never have figured that one out. Glad I could share :)

Paul

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott
Lots of different methods , John B , uses a 3 m auto product ( try the search function). I use hydrochloric acid based toilet cleaner about $2.50 at the grocery store. FYI French grey is bare metal, unless nickel plating and has to be protected from rust. Hope this helps Dave
Also navel jelly will do the same thing but the liquid toilet cleaner works better IMHO, scrub the part with 0000 steel wool and the cleaner, avoid the fumes, wear rubber gloves

The works?

Carlos De La O III

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recalled that Sharpie marker masking idea from a craft store one time, where they acid etched copper sheets and I asked how they did that-with a Sharpie (Black is best). I use it all of the time and it really saves some time when cold bluing and being able to not have the acid work at your mountings is a real bonus for a French grey dip. It's one of the best simple things in the arsenal! I merely wipe the marker off with acetone when I'm done and everything is fresh and clean as can be. I'm so glad I asked the store clerk, otherwise I'd never have figured that one out. Glad I could share :)

Paul

Thanks

Carlos De La O III

Latest posts

Sponsors