French Gray Techniques

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Fred,
Thanks, I have glass beads I might try that after using the blue remove.
I consider it a great honor to be included in the group of AKI members.
Many thanks
Rick

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
French gray

Yes, I do in fact use toilet bowl cleaner for French Gray! To be exact, I use Snow Bol brand. I believe it contains muriatic acid and the mix is just right for me. I use for for complete blue removal prior to the polishing for engraving and I also use it for selected/spot removal to lighten scrolls.

The Sno Bol leaves a soft gray on metal that has been previously blued - a somewhat eteched surface that can be polished out with soft rubber erasers. Like Lynton, I believe it imparts a protective surface to the metal that resists rust and corrosion? Hopefully this information won't get to Juan Carlos, whose engraved gun Tim Wells described!

Try some, it's avaialble at any grocerey store, and it's cheaper than any of the commercial brand blue removers. Best of all, my Sno Bol comes in real handy when my wife makes me clean the toilets!

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good to see you here Mike, I'm surprised you had time to look up as busy as it is there.

I figured that wasn't supposed to be a secret about the cleaner since I'd heard it from Marty too. That was the first time I saw the results of using it though.

I was kinda plugging the rifle as well, it would take me a week to really look at it to properly appreciate all there is in it.

Truly one of the finest pieces I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. You're a great mentor and gracious engraver and I thank you for what you've shared with me these past few years. Here's hoping you stay caught up this holiday season.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Glen.
Thank you for your kind words, I'm honored.

Rex.
That is funny.
I can just picture you and Diane putting those Colt's together in a hotel suite.
With the way some folks freak out over the sight of a gun it's a good thing the maid did not walk in on you. The SWAT team would have followed.
Diane would have to look hard to find anyone better than you to help her with the assembly.
I think she had this pair at the FEGA show last year and they looked great.

Fred.
Your knives, engraving and finish are truly awesome.
Sure enjoyed seeing the pictures. Real eye candy.
Thank you, and to all.
John.

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Glenn,
There is a article in the FEGA how to hand book that covers French Gray,"page 49" as well as many other treatments case coloring, blackening brass,antique brass,back ground treatment,ect . I just joined Fega a few weeks ago its worth the cost. Besides I think it gets you in the Reno show
for free.I'm considering going this year. Do they have a seminar every day
of the event? I would loved to set in on these.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Bill,
There are seminars on Monday. On Friday AM there is a business meeting to vote in new officers etc. On Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday (as John B. says " It's candy for the eyes")
I'm glad you joined FEGA I've been a member for about four years and have really enjoyed this oranization. I can't say enough positive things about the talent and willingness to help fellow engravers.
I'll look for you there on Jan 26th. I'll even buy you lunch!
I am embarrassed to say I don't own a copy of the FEGA how to book. I don't recall even knowing such a book existed. I will order one today. Thanks so much.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i recall james meeks in his book, "the art of engraving" devoted a page or2 on how he did this sort of thing. brushes & erasers were part of his arsenal to achieve the effects he was after.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Bill, just to avoid confusion, this year the FEGA show is in Las Vegas, not Reno.

As I recall, Marty Rabeno discussed selective grey in his FEGA seminar a few years back. He borrowed his wife's fingernail polish to mask off the areas he wished to remain blue.

I couldn't find Sno-Bol at my local store, so I used Zep calcium, lime & rust stain remover to strip the blue prior to polishing and engraving. It contains hydrochloric acid and sulfamic acid and works great as a stripper. I will look for something that contains phosphoric acid before my next selective grey item.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been using Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner. It's low in calories and gluten free.
Haven't tried Mike's Snow Bowl.

Hopfully C U all in Vegas come January

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used other brands and it's all basically the same stuff and they all worked. I didn't wash my gizzard out with it so I couldn't tell you how much polyunsaturated fat is in it, nor the calorie count...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors