French Curve(s)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not what some of you were expecting, but here is my question, was looking for some french curves for drawing, but they all seem to be oversized and not good for what I need them for, designing of course for my firearms I know I can enlarge my outline and then resize to needed size, what or where can I find the smallest set of french curves for drawing, I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this but was searching the forum and could not find any info, please keep suggestions to small french curves not the large inch sizes.

Thanks all

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i made a set on my laser. gimme a email to jayismonk450@gmail.com i would need approximate dimensions that you're looking for. i can make them any practical size you want. i made 3 sizes of the 2 shapes that interested me. i could do other shapes as well.

Attachments

• FRENCH 1.JPG
    FRENCH 1.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 407
  • FRENCH.JPG
    FRENCH.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Monk's solution is, probably, the only way to go at the present time. A quick Internet check shows nothing except for 7", 9", or 12" sizes, and the ads mention nothing of small sizes. They look small in the photos, but most likely aren't. A suggestion is, when you acquire a set, is to put a few small, inked scribe marks in certain places on the edges so as to orient that portion of the curve relative to some other reference mark. A French curve will vary slightly, and a subtle change in orientation will throw things out of whack. It looks like we'll just have to make up our own just like templates for oak leaves, unless some enterprising individual decides to manufacture such.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At one time I purchased some mini french curves from one of the engraving tool suppliers. They were just like Ngravers scroll templates in what they are made of. You might check with them to see if they carry them.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
@Monk sure will thanks

@Ron yep thats all I found, but as you can see the guys and gals here are very resourceful

@Dakota now those are curves

@silverchip never crossed my mind to check there but I think Im going to try Monk first

Thanks all

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try drawing... It will save you money.
Gerry,

french curves are made for drawing, you should check then out. The don't draw complete scroll work in one pass, but greatly assist in designing, plenty of youtube videos check then out.

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
carlos : here are the curves on my computer. these are 5-6" in length. i'll laser burn this set to see the practical lower limit in size
the laser can burn them the size of a pinhead,but-- trying to trace a line with them would be impossible.

Attachments

• french curve.JPG
    french curve.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 100

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk thank you something to the size we had talked about in the email

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
French curves are a great drawing tool that is traditionally used in MECHANICAL drawing. Carlos, try freehand drawing your design first and then if you want to, touch up the scrolls using the french curves. Your design should end up with a nicer natural flow than can be achieved by just using the curves. This isn't rocket science and in many cases the simpliest of tools like a pencil will render the best results.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
exactly!, the nail on the coffin, that's what I was thinking touch ups, to make some nice curves.

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
carlos: here's the "limbo" set "how low can thou go" ? i could probably do them even smaller. maybe 3/4". this set measures approx 1" wide. these may be suitable for using the outer edge of the template. if you notice-- some of them at this size could have a spot or 2 that might not trace well.

Attachments

• 1" curves.JPG
    1" curves.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Sponsors