Foredom graver kit for pendant motor, any thoughts ?

Tom J.

Hello everyone,

Since it is my first post, let me introduce myself:

I am a 21yo french student trying to learn jewelry making on my free time.

I would like to start engraving for stone setting and there are a lot of tools outside my budget.

Did some of you tested the PowerGraver kit by Foredom ? I would like to read your opinion on this tool. It would be mainly for small and straight lines.

It would be a good beginner kit for my situation I believe since it does not require an air compressor (I work in my student apartment, i can't make a lot of noise) and come with a small price.

If you have any recommandations, I would be happy to read them.

Thank you everyone, have a nice day.

Tom

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    606.6 KB · Views: 19

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tom,
first off you have to learn how to sharpen the tools. This is crucial . Most jewelry stone setting involves “bright cutting “. This involves a high luster on the gravers.
for this work I push the gravers, no machine needed for small straight lines. My suggestion is to start small , learn to sharpen & push your gravers.
Next, You need something to hold your work. Many varied ways from inexpensive to very expensive. Do some research online for vises etc.
I‘ve made art jewelry for a long time, it’s a good way to starve slowly at least here in my neck of the woods. Metal & stones can get expensive.
I use Foredom tools they have served me well, I have no experience with the system you show.
there are also sites that offer used engraving equipment. Good luck,
Kent

Tom J.

Hi Kent, thank you for your response. I will go ahead and try manually first then, with sharp gravers. Thank you.
Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors