For old time's sake

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Engraved this morning with hammer & chisel and shaded with a hand-push graver.

About 1.5cm.

hammer&chisel.jpg

hammer&chisel-2.jpg

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, thanks for the look. I was wondering what you have your vise mounted to, is it fixed or does it have the ability to rotate? I assume it is fixed or can be fixed, but making an assumption never seems to work out.

scott99

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
like riding a bike. or maybe a unicycle...

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The set up is under the scope Sam, does this mean you are doing the h&c work under the scope as well?
Btw, it looks great :thumbsup:

Sam

Staff member
Yes Willem. That's one of the things McKenzie taught me, and I used the microscope for hammer & chisel work for 7 or 8 years.

Sam

Staff member
Indeed Brian. And after the zombie apocalypse and the world is without electricity and hoards of people are lined up for engraving, I'll still be able to make deliveries.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks quite similar as any other engraving, except of course that I can see the HC marks.
I never thought about trying HC under a microscope.

arnaud

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,What is your favorite geometry for H&C and hand push graver,nice set up.:thumbsup: J.J.

Sam

Staff member
Sam,What is your favorite geometry for H&C and hand push graver,nice set up.:thumbsup: J.J.

JJ: I hand sharpened the way I used to, and my square graver chisel is approximately 45 face and 20 heel. My square hand graver is probably 35 face and 10 heel. I also have some onglette chisels that cut really well.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hmmm nice lookin stuff you did there. not sure why, but i'd sort of be fearful to h&c with my scope. can you say,"shattered objective lens" ? then again, given the angle one holds the cutter, and the angle the hammer goes to the chisel, maybe someday i'll try that.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Funny I just did the same thing for a few hours this weekend. After reading a few posts about hand pushed versus machine shading, I chucked up a silver blank and did some hand pushing. It was fun and I was really pleased with the results. You really can do some fine shade work by hand on precious metal and mild steel.
I also switched to the gravermax on some ultra high speeds that I'd never used before. Up around 61 to 71 on the dial, it feels like hand pushing with the machine acting as lubrication. Just enough power to help you towards the end of the cut and other sticky places.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Indeed Brian. And after the zombie apocalypse and the world is without electricity and hoards of people are lined up for engraving, I'll still be able to make deliveries.

So you ride a bicycle too, do ya?

Maybe we oughta do a thread on what various members do to keep the sludge from settling in the belly and other extremities?

Better yet, start with the food/fuel that makes for the best work day? (leave the alcohol and recreational stuff out)

B.

Last edited:

Sponsors