For lefties ONLY

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Being a lefty and most if not all instructions are for righties. I was looking for a lefties approach to engraving such as: are scrolls cut clockwise for the most part since righties cut scroll for the most part counterclockwise. How about bright cut script lettering as direction of cut is an important aspect? Any other reversals as it pertains to engraving? Roger

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmm? Maybe that's my problem. I'm a righty, but I cut in all directions. I just tilt the graver differently.

On firearms there are a lot of times where the direction is defined by the surrounding material.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never gave it much thought, which way to engrave. Sometimes, rather than change the vise or go through contortions, I just switch the tool to my left hand and go from there. I'm probably a little different as I have been ambidextrous all my life, or maybe my engraving is so bad it doesn't make any difference how I do it!! Lol

Bill

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
This also gave me some pause. I write on paper with my left hand but engrave right handed. Didn't feel comfortable with my left.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Im right handed and all my cutting is done in the counter clockwise direction,it began when I started engraving with the H&C every time I tryed cutting a scroll in the clockwise direction the tips of gravers were breaking or they would'nt stay in the cut.I still do all my scrolls in the counter clockwise direction even with the Airgraver when I made that change it made a difference. J.J.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the input! It seems that most right handers or left handers cut in a direction that is convenient, comfort or natural based on the work at hand and not a set or consistent pattern. In "trying" to practice "calligraphy" with a graver, instructions seem to be oriented toward the right handers as to direction of penning/cut. I had this discussion with Sam A. several years back in his class at GRS and we just kind'a scratched our heads over this. I am still scratching my head but of course at my level of work I do lots of head scratching no matter what direction I cut. RmG

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I never gave it much thought, which way to engrave. Sometimes, rather than change the vise or go through contortions, I just switch the tool to my left hand and go from there. I'm probably a little different as I have been ambidextrous all my life, or maybe my engraving is so bad it doesn't make any difference how I do it!! Lol

Bill

Heck I guess I'm not UNIQUE anymore :( I do the same as you.....

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
take note-- one always rotates the vise towards the graver, which should be held stationary. this allows cutting the scroll non stop. if the vise is stationary, it's difficult to stop the cut to reposition the vise. you get a better cut this way---for me anyway.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Does this have anything to do with using the left and right side of the brain or maybe northern and southern hemisphere could also be the magnetic affect in the north or south ?????
just my two cents worth
Ray

Latest posts

Sponsors