Question: ? For goldsmiths ?

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
Does anybody have a trick to protect engraving on a ring when you size down? In the past I put tape on my bending pliers, when closing the ring and that seems to work good. I know they make nylon jaws but I have not used them.

Thanks
Jake

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I just put a piece of chamois leather over the ring bending pliers jaws and and have never had a problem with damaging the pattern. Sometimes I use a nylon hammer to close the gap first and then finish the closure with the pliers. I prefer nylon over a rawhide leather mallet for this.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use jet set or thermo loc to cover the ring bending pliers. If your worried about solder going into the engraving if it's close to your joint use liquid paper (correction pen) and cover the engraving. Keep it out of your joint though.

frank g

I use a sleeve on my ri9ng pliers made of thermo plastic from aqua plast that is similar to thermo loc. I have used them repeatedly over the years and just keep them in a drawer until I need them. It is like having an extra set of pliers. I also use a ring reducer with a nylon sleeve that protects the surface of the ring when you are shrinking it. Only works on bands without stones. I have also made my own sleeves for the shrinking dies out of thermo loc for odd shapes such as square rings. This has its limitations but for a 1/4 to 1/2 size it works great.
Not to hijack the thread but since someone else mentioned liquid paper as a anti-flux. A word of caution, use the water base kind the other stuff emits a toxic gas when heated. I personally prefer the block out pen from Stuller settings. When dry it doesn't dissolve in the alcohol and boric acid flux mixture and removes easily in the sonic or steamer. Frank

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is there a trick working with that thermo lock. It seems goopy sticky stuff. Get voids etc when shaping...

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the microwave. Dip it in water before you put it in then after about 2min take it out and dip it in water again then mold it for your needs.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use thermoloc, but no need to put it into water, just use some bakery parchment so it wont stick on whatever you lay the termoloc on. Use some bakery parchment also to knead the termoloc, as it can get very hot comming out of the micro wave and could stick and burn your fingers

arnaud

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So arnaud. You stick parchment between the thermolock and your Jewllery? No problem with getting a purchase on your pieces?

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Chujybear,

Allow me to translate Arnaud's statement into something completely unfathomable, or would you prefer English? Arnaud uses thermoloc, but feels it is superfluous to place it in water at any time when heating it in a microwave. He does however think it is wise to place a portion of parchment paper large enough to insure that upon removing it from said microwave you will not require first aid to relieve some of the pain you may suffer if you were to be so unfortunate as to touch the thermoloc with your unprotected fingers. Within this statement he also eludes to shaping the hot thermoloc by placing it between the object used for shaping and the thermoloc. I do not see any reference to placing any parchment on any jewelry. I have however seen pictures of Phil Coggan use paper wrapped around what I believe was blocks of wood and pitch shaped to hold gun parts and held in his vice. As Mr. Coggan is a Master following his example may be wise indeed, therefor, it may be a good idea, after all its dull gray color doesn’t go with anything. ;)

Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors