Follow-up On Master Penmen Video

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Have any engravers with a calligraphy background ever tried drawing letters with nib on a metal plate? I know most people draw them freehand but I would think someone with a calligraphy background would find this way more effective.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am certainly not a penmen but I tried to use a nib that I use for pen and ink sketching ran uncontrollably over the highly polished metal. Fred

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
and I'd think a shellac based India ink would work best too rather than fountain pen ink.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't think that would be a good option I have some calligraphy pens my issues would the ink bleeding or beading, and what about erasing, the finest point calligraphy pen would still be too wide for small lettering

Carlos De La O III

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member

Have any engravers with a calligraphy background ever tried drawing letters with nib on a metal plate? I know most people draw them freehand but I would think someone with a calligraphy background would find this way more effective.

I have tried it and found that it does wear out the nib kind of fast. I don't use the pen anymore I have become accustom to drawing the letter out now.

I have only used it with no ink as a very light scribe. I wouldn't use anything but steel nibs to do this, the Gold ones won't touch anything but a piece of good paper.........

If you noticed in the video he drew out every letter/figure with a pencil before he used the pen and ink, same should be done with engraving in my opinion.