Critique Request Flowing Blade.

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Hello!

I recently engraved my first knife. It was a collaborative project, where one did the blade (Tommy Jimmerfors), one did the handle and sheath (CarlMichael Almqvist) and some fool did the engraving (Moi...)

Anyway, here it is, it was a carbon steel that he used in the handle. I think it was 15N20.

Oh... Also my first really curved surface that I engraved, that was a challenge all by itself.

Kopia3.jpg Kopia2.jpg Kopia1.jpg
DSC05903.jpg

The top pictures are the makers, the bottom one is a picture I shot of the spine after I had done the engraving. So before the handle was glued and before it got it's final polish on wood and such.

All pointers are as usual, welcome!

//DQ :tiphat:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a beautiful knife and sheath! The collaboration worked extremely well as your engraving compliments the knife and the sheath looks great. VERY nice design and cutting.

Beautiful wood on that handle. Is it spalted maple?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice. When doing flat to round areas watch your curves to make sure you do not get a strange bend in your curve.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
stunning work. if that curve aggrivated you, don't try a recoil shield on a peacemaker. that will put you in a padded cell.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You must have done lots of practice before you got to your first knife. Well done. As Beathard said, though take care going from flat to curved, or around any corners. They can really be hard to layout correctly.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The entire knife is superb! I really like the little detail of the thin "reed work" that peeks through the openings in the basket weave engraving.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Wow, that's some really nice work, Jörmungandr! A beautiful knife & sheath too:thumbsup: That type of engraving and the great result for a first time at knife engraving, my congratulations! Greetings, Paulie:beerchug:

Last edited:

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you everyone for your kind words. It sure was a fun thing to engrave and I'm hoping this won't be the last one either.

But I guess it won't... Need to get some of my own knives going now so I can engrave my own stuff.

Thanks also for the tips, I'll especially stay of the peacemakers, Monk. People are already threatning me about those cells you speak off, no need to increase the risk of going there any more ;-)

The materials used is spalted white beam (called Oxel in swedish), mammoth tooth and pattern-welded steel from Damasteel and of course an ordinary carbon steel piece (we suspect 15n20) where the engraving is done.

Funny you mention the "reed work" Doc, cause that was a headache to do I think.. But it was worth it, gave alot more life to the design.

//DQ

Latest posts

Sponsors