Critique Request Flower

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Happy Holidays Everyone,
After 6 months or so learning to engrave I thought I would post something to show my progress. This I took from Chris Decamillis video blog showing how to engrave this flower. I'm still trying to to get my fine shadow lines down and working on flaring cuts for the leaves. I thank you for any comments!

Gary L. Rohrbaugh

Attachments

• flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 343

Zhyyra

Elite Cafe Member
Quite striking with the straight-line shading. I can imagine it would be a good central theme for a ladies belt buckle or something similar.
Good for only 6 months (not that I've even got 6 hours behind me yet) :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looks as though "you're on your way" with such obvious control of design and execution. post more as you do more, please..

Andrew Biggs

HI Gary

You have a lot of good things going on there. Good main cuts with nice tapers from thin to thick that end with no over cuts.

The shading is good and I can see that it would really "pop" at actual size.

The only thing I would like to see is some cross hatching to give extra depth, texture and intensity to the dark areas.

Cheers
Andrew

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Great Job Gary. Sam has a similar flower in his tips section on his site that I have engraved a few times. I think it is a great design and you have cut it well. Thanks for showing your progress. I to think you are well on your way.