Floki66

floki66

First I want to thank some of you who responded to my questions. Very much appreciated. However, I am deeply disturbed by the nasty comments directed towards me because I did not respond in YOUR time frame. I recently has STOMACH SURGERY and I am in a lot of pain...so this forum that is suppose to encourage and befriend newbies to engraving has upset and disappointed me to the point I am going to cancel. I don't need people ( you know who you are in and don't need you to make me feel worse than I am.) But I did get some very helpful comments. Enough to make up my mind. I know those people who said creul things to me won't care...the feelings mutual.
I seriously hoped that this forum would be much more professional than it is...sorry I have to go.
I will stay in contact with anyone who wishes to contact me directly on my personal email...if there is a way to do that. Let me know.
Sincerely,
Mark

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Relax, Mark. It did seem kind of strange that someone with zero posts would make a request for help and then not come back. None of us know you so how could we know you were in the hospital? We do befriend newbies all the time as were the helpful insights you received. Nobody's being cruel to you...jeeesh. Based on previous experience with tool fights and silly things folks have said and done to stir up trouble, some of us (including me) were beginning to wonder if you were legit. So let's do a group hug and get on with our engraving, shall we?

Cheers / ~Sam

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I suggest you listen to what Sam advises. He speaks from long experience.

Engravers are artists who pour their hearts and souls into their work, so critiques and criticism may hurt sometimes, but is is important to toughen up and continue on. As Roy suggests, we can be prickly at times.

You can't afford to let your skin be so thin that it gets in the way of your progress. Stick with us awhile and eventually you will be glad you did.

Mike Fennell

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Mark

It took me a number of years to finally start commenting on the Engraving sites like Sams. and some times ( 1% of the 99% ) have said something about my post that if I wanted to I could of taken offense to. Guess what this is the world wide web over 7 billion people on this earth could post here and say something about what we comment on. Sooner or later someone is going to say something that offends us and we might be tempted to run away and hide. Just think what you will be missing. The 99% will be will be people who give you information that will effect you in a positive way especially toward this wonderful art of Hand engraving. I hope you will come and stay and play with us. I am sure that some day I will post a picture of one of my engravings and I will get another comment that stings but when I really examine what is said I can apply it and get better at this most difficult art.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i feel it unwise to abandon a "good thing" from a simple misunderstanding. come back, you'll not regret the return.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Personally, I'd just let him go as I don't think it's worth the effort. Reading through the other thread I think you guys a) took the time to reply with sound advice, and b) gave the utmost in courtesy at all times, even when questioning where he went after his original post. If he can get the hump and thinks he's been slighted over something this then he'll never make it as an engraver as he won't ever be able to take any criticism without getting hurt feelings.

My opinion is that he isn't legit (I could be wrong but it's how it comes across). The Café's been going for 6 years now and there have been countless "discussions" (and tool wars) over the different systems. If he really wanted to know he'd have done a bit of research (perhaps using the Cafe's search facility) on the 2 systems. Or even made some phone calls to the 2 companies??? Like Bronc said, who ever heard of a salesman who wouldn't discuss their system. Nah, he comes across as an attention seeking time waster who wants to be spoon fed info. Sorry if this sounds harsh but you guys didn't deserve the OTT reaction floki66 spouted off.

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know if Flokki66 is legit or not. Like Marcus, I think probably not. If he is, I apologize for any offense caused by my remarks. But I wonder if this isn't someone having a little fun at out expense. I have dealt with quite a few companies over the years and I consider the sales and tech staff at GRS to be top flight. As far as the sales and tech staff at Lindsay Engraving? Well both positions are filled by Steve Lindsay, who along with being a world class engraver and mechanical genius, is also a very pleasant and articulate fellow to visit with. So this whole deal just doesn't make much sense.

Stewart

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Regardless of the motives of the person that originally asked the question I think that many of the responses will provide valuable information to those seeking information on the two major products. It would serve well to have comments on the other products should be represented (EngraveR, Christians new product, the foredoom products) as well as objective reviews of sharpening systems and other products we all use daily. The first several responses provided excellent reviews and could easily be added to the tips archive with appropriate editing-IMHO-Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors