Question: Flex drive motor

Valuations

I have had a FARO Orange body electronic foot control hang motor for more years than I care to count and I think its time for a change as it is no longer working.
Is there a preferance out there among users for this type of motor
I use it to seat stones for setting and other uses as I can set the speed and it has been the best companion over the years
The newer hand held motors range in quality and price are there others who have had to upgrade and if so what to and why was it your choice

mrthe

Personally i preferr a micro-motor, i don'like very much the flex shaft motors, micromotors are more indicated for precision works in jewellery i use the flex shaft only for heavy works .

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Emesco. Articulated arm with pullies. Besides wangling the odd belt, love it. Best thing about it is the control in the low ranfe.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
My favorite unit is the Foredom EE model. It has a gear reduction side and a straight motor drive. On the gear reduction side it runs at 5000 rpm (14000 rpm on the high speed side) and has fantastic low end torque. I use it more than my regular Foredom unit which runs at 14000 rpm. The low end torque brings great control for stone setting. I use the faster unit for things like small buffing wheels. Having two units, a high speed and a low speed, high power unit make a great accessory. Given a choice I'd take the low speed/high torque tool. My units are both about 30 years old and only once changed the conduit brushes.

kfengraver

the foredom sr is a great motor 18,000 rpm about 170.00 bucks has forward and reverse. i use the swiss technique handpiece. best one i ve tried. but the nsk e-max micro motor is what i want..

BlaineA

Yes the micro motors do have enough torque to bur or drill any hole you want. With that being said you have to buy a nice one. The 200 dollar jobs won't last long and don't have the torque. If you try a micro motor for stone setting you will never want to use a flex shaft again for stone setting.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My $250 micro motor has lasted for years ... from Pearsons Dental. Used several Foredoms for decades, but Mirco Motor is hands down winner, as its thin electric cord leaves it free as a pencil in your hand, not so with a Foredom.

Rod

greg mcquaid

I'm in the same boat & look like I'm going to go for an Nsk Espert 500 torque set micromotor. If you find a reliable repair option for your orange Faro let me know. I love mine & hate to part with it but repair hasn't been successful on the electronic speed controller & now it's lost all it's great functionality of low speed operation. I think micromotors have come such a long way these days that hanging motors with accurate variable speed control seem to be deemed unnecessary. Considering the Faro cost me $1200 25 odd years ago $2000 for a quality micromotor really isn't that bad.

Latest posts

Sponsors