Flare Cut Video

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a video of Flare Cutting. I triued a new geometry for me and it seems to work well.
[video=youtube;No9dI0PZXWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No9dI0PZXWY&feature=plcp[/video]

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice demo. Very bright smooth cuts. Usually when I'm cutting brass my cuts have a tendency to dull rather rapidly from metal build up. It doesn't look like that's happening here. It may depend on the type of brass also I would guess.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks a million Chris! This is a wonderfully clear tutorial on Flare Cutting. I've done this a few times but you have given me the desire to spend a bit more time experimenting with this design concept. It's quick to cut but elegant in its' results. The slow speed of the Enset seems to make this technique even easier to do.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yep, this style has quite a few names...

I first saw the idea come from Al Stohlman 40+ years ago. He used it for leather carving and called it "Inverted Carving". He published the patterns in a book about 30+ years ago.

Then I saw Dan Murray actually cutting this style in his Silver City, NV studio around 30 years ago. He called it "Inverted Engraving".

As I have... ever since seeing him do it. (By the way, he was hand pushing it back then)

Brian

Last edited:

mrthe

Very interesting ,thank you for post it,the geometry of the point is very interesting too ,i have to try to translate the audio to understand well how sharp it hehe,thank you.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
chris: a great tutorial if there ever was one. i should think a nice promo for your newly created en-set tool as well. thanks so much for showing this.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, Chris!

Thank you for this good video demo of your flare cut approach, it is very clear and with good resolution. I am also intrigued by the En-set. As an unabashed tool collector, I am tempted. It is not that I need it, as I have one of all systems from push, through hammer and chisel, nGraver, GRS, and Lindsay. The tool designer in me admires all systems, and I enjoy their differences. Remember, that if I get conscious stricken, all of these systems will find ready takers if I need to sell any to buy groceries. In the tool department I am batting much higher in my tool collections, as compared my ability to use any of them to their full potential! A wise engraver would also be spending money on the good drawing courses offered by Marty and others!

The En-set is intriguing, as it is yet again a different approach. The flute shown below ( informal snap shots) is another headed for Rio de Janeiro, so maybe when the payment comes in, I may yield away from my Scottish instincts, and go for it......maybe?

This flute is still not finished, with sawdust still clinging, but it shows how nicely gilded flare cut sits against the yellow brown acid stained boxwood flute

I liked all of the posts here, as they verify that flare cut is not new, probably been used by many engravers, and as Brian says, using different names.

For those who do not subscribe to the Engraver Journal, I wrote a short article on gilding flarecut, this has been published in the last issue. I would be happy to post it on the forum if anyone wanted. Let me know?

Question: Can non-FEGA members buy an individual Engraver Journal copy? Even for no-gun folk like me, the $50 yearly membership is a huge bargain, and you get free admission to the Reno show! The Journal has articles on other engraved objects than arms plus edge weapon canvases, and I think there is general agreement, that the very finest engraving masterworks are often found on weapons over several millennium. No guns in my toolkit, unless you call this flute a pea-shooter, but lots of books on gun engraving .

Best

Rod

Attachments

• box Grenser.jpg
    box Grenser.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 333
  • grenser gilded ket.jpg
    grenser gilded ket.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Jeeze!

I just went and looked in my library... Stohlman published that book of patterns 52 years ago!

Unless this style has been done earlier, and has a more common name - I will stick with calling it "Inverted"

B.
Brian, 52 years sounds like eternity to you...do a decent search and find out
this technique is as old as since people are using burins and chisels.. including flipping and tilting experiments etc.. nothing new to it.. just less documentated..
so..way before Columbus ;-)
:beerchug:
GREAT video tut Chris!!!

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How did the words "flair cut" come about for this type of engraving? Who coined it that?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Many of us did our own versions of the flare cut technique for years, and I thought Ron Smith introduced the name. Perhaps he got it from Roger. Ron helped refine it and got the creative juices flowing for many of us as he helped bring the style to the forefront. I love the style and find myself experimenting with different shapes as I build a collection of decorative elements that work well with this style of engraving.

Agreed...this is a very good video.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Frank,

What I meant by the "52 years!" was simply that I find it hard to believe. That time has gone so fast. Seems like yesterday.

And yes, I have done research on this style. The closest that I found was done in wood, carved in Europe...

The only US printed book of patterns in this style that I know of is by Stohlman.

The first time I actually saw it done in metal was a piece by Dan Murray in Nevada over 30 years ago.

Yes, there are other countries in the world, but I was referring to personal experience and observations in this one.

The other two descriptive terms now in use are much more recent - again, in this country.

Brian

So what we have is really an inverted transitional flare cut or is it an inverted flare cut transition? :)

Last edited:

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks

:happyvise:
Thanks for the video, looks great.
Works good in steel for me, but did some in stainless steel receivers----not so good. Just could not keep it smooth. Will have to try the angled face to see if that helps in SS.
Mark

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Chris for the video, me too I love this style whatever one calls it. It takes less time, can be seen without eyeglasses, and it has a lot of possibilities on leave structures I will have to discover.

arnaud

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Frank,

What I meant by the "52 years!" was simply that I find it hard to believe. That time has gone so fast. Seems like yesterday.

And yes, I have done research on this style. The closest that I found was done in wood, carved in Europe...

The only US printed book of patterns in this style that I know of is by Stohlman.

The first time I actually saw it done in metal was a piece by Dan Murray in Nevada over 30 years ago.

Yes, there are other countries in the world, but I was referring to personal experience and observations in this one.

The other two descriptive terms now in use are much more recent - again, in this country.

Brian[/QUOTE
yes,Brian, indeed, nothing goes as fast as time..
you made me curious about this book, what kind of patterns are in there? is it still available?

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for posting the video, Christian.

Flare cut is a good way to cover a large area quickly and is very durable. Roger's pistols still sparkle after many years of holster carry, and I believe Rod's flute keys withstand a lot of handling and finger-hammering. I have done some earrings and knife bolsters which still look like new after much use.

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

Loved the video, but I have a few remarks and questions. It looks to me as if this tool is unidirectional, in that you have to use the right side only. Couldn't the same result be obtained by leaving the leading edge straight and putting the slight edge heel on both edges? I do like the fact that your tool cuts the outside edges very cleanly. I have to go back and dress up my cuts, as I don't relieve the edges. I will probably start doing this, as long as I don't lose where the tip of the face is when I'm cutting. I also think that if the tool is unidirectional, that it would not be of much use in gun engraving, as there are places where you have to come from a certain direction with the tool, and you would have to have a mirror image tool for opposite direction cuts. Changing tools back and forth would seem to me to get old very quickly! Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Loved the video, but couldn't see the engraver very well. It looks like a flat with both sides relieved...maybe even to a triangle cross section. I don't care what the face angle is, that will be adjusted according to the metal being cut, but would like to know the side geometry!
Thanks, Will

ps I guess that if, as Ed deduced, it cuts unidirectionally, and you always make the cuts in opposite directions, it would work, but still interested in the angles used!

W

Sponsors