Critique Request Flare cut floor plate

ctague

untitled.png Last week I attended Diane Scalese flare cut engraving class at the GRS Training Center and I would like to share some of my work from that class. I was very happy with the results from the class. I learned alot from Diane. She is a great teacher. Please any and all critique.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are catching on to the technique very well. Your cuts appear very uniform as to depth, and the flow is smooth and continuous. The only problem area I see is that some of your lines don't exactly line up after one element crosses under another. Sometimes the under element seems to have grown in width when it emerges. Just watch for that in the future, and your work will really pop.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That is very well done! A pleasing and balanced design. Would look great on a bracelet, too. :thumbsup:

ctague

Thanks Sam. You read my mind. I am working on a bracelet right now. I think it will turn out nice.

Last edited:

Skate

Hi Cody. You did a great job - it is very well executed. It would make a beautiful bracelet. Hope you post the results!

Diane

ctague

Thanks Diane. I feel that i learned alot from your class and wait for the next one. I will post pictures of the bracelet when I'm finished with it.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cody,

I would say that is very clean cutting, and Diane is a great teacher, congratulations!

As to critique, Ed made some valuable points.

Winging it can be fun, however if your intended design is symmetrical, some grid lines can be helpful. Human eyes, without training, are expert in noticing small deviations from intended symmetry. We are sensitive to tiny changes in faces, etc., so free flow floral is good for winging it. I took one half of your nicely cut pattern and flipped it to a mirror image, as a comparison, which balances it in one axis?

Another tip is when you have an underlying curve or scroll, cut it first, but cut it very lightly where you intend the overlying element to impinge, this gives a continuous line that can be thickened later where necessary. The thin light line is wiped out by the overlaying element.

best

Rod

Attachments

• cody.jpg
    cody.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the design & cutting are truly nice. not a critique-- but how would this look with a lightly textured, dark background ? i think it would be even better that way.

Latest posts

Sponsors