Critique Request First time out of the barn

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
This is my first attempt at bulino work and I think I am going to like it. I will have to come up with a way to not rub off my guides while I am working other sections. I will try to get the wing section retransferred and I should be able to make it work from there.
Mockingbird practice.jpg

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks. I thought of using a coating but I thought that the extra thickness of the paint film might throw me off. I have some matte fixative that I will try next time.

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
you can just spray it with clear, waterbased hair-spray. A friend of mine uses that for both engravings and scrimshaws, and that keeps the marks where they should be

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice first effort. Try doing the same bird at a much smaller scale. I'm guessing that's a 2" plate. Try shrinking your artwork down to 20% of its current size.

As for transferring your design for bulino purposes, I recommend using tracing paper to copy the key features at a large scale. Trace an image at 8.5x11". It's much easier to accurately trace at this scale. Then with either a copier or scanner and photo editing software scale the image down to 3/4" or so. Once you transfer the key features use a carbide scribe point that you gently round the tip on. You want it to resemble a ball point pen but very fine.

The reason is this will produce a nice soft line. Whereas the sharp point tends to scratch too deeply. Plus it's easier to "draw" with tge rounded point.

With this point you indicate in your key features.

This makes a more permanent guide to work from. Plus ink transfers tend to "get in the way" when working really fine.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
It is looking very good.

To protect the image while working, and to protect the areas you have completed from being damaged while your attention is riveted elsewhere, use the Firmo Fracassi method. Tape a business card or other heavy piece of paper over the work, with a small cut-out panel through which you can work on one small area at a time. You can remove the paper for an overall view, but use it to protect the completed portions from wear and hanger rash while working.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Bert Edmonston IV, use smaller size, I mean "real" size for engraving.

It is looking very good.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
That's looking great. I've just spent many months practicing bulino and my avatar picture is what I can do now. It really is a long, laborious technique but you are off to a great start. Well done. I will say that doing black pictures..... say a black Labrador is a whole different ballgame to grey shade bulino. I am still struggling with that so as you are working remember what you are doing to make the dark greys and blacks. It will help you in the the future.

Sponsors