First time out of the barn

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Knife_2.jpg Knife_1.jpg
Well, I didn't want to be the one guy at the nudist resort still wearing his towel, so, here it is my first non practice piece. It has been one month since I attended GRS' basic firearms engraving class. I have spent this time just figuring things out.
I designed and cut this knife over the course of two days, I think the total time was right around 6 hours. I have to say that the smartest thing that I did was to wait until my burnishing tool arrived in the mail before starting my cuts. I really took my time and was pleased with the final result. I can definitely see where I need to improve and look forward to a time when I can produce work as nice as the things I see on this site.
I really liked the fit and finish of this knife, and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a small knife to cut on.
P.S. I know that I will catch some flack for the pictures. Sorry, I will take better close ups next time.
-Wade

Last edited:

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good to me. Were u nervous? I had a feeling you would you would do something soon. Are these knifes from GRS? Does this make you wonder what the others in our class are doing?

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Y'all

Nervous? Yes, until I actually started. But that is how I feel in all of my artwork. Once the tool starts cutting the nervousness subsides and I feel much calmer. I will say, however, that during the background removal I took a much larger bite than I had planned. It was then that I left my body temporarily. But you know, I got through it.

The knife was ordered from GRS, and it cut great.
And yeah, I would like to see what the rest of our class is getting up to these days.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes that shows better. The one on the right looks like a pocket knife for the crusaders. :biggrin:
I like the on the left.
arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors