Critique Request First graver sharpening

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Carlos,I like the 90 degree graver for most of the engraving I do on firearms,50 to 55 degree face 20 degree heel.J.J.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos,I like the 90 degree graver for most of the engraving I do on firearms,50 to 55 degree face 20 degree heel.J.J.

Please don't forget to critique my sharpening of the graver.

I would like to know why you use a 90 what are the benefits of using it over the the universal 116.

Carlos De La O III

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It looks pretty good from the detail I can see.

40 minutes to sharpen 1 graver seems excessive. With a dual angle fixture from GRS it takes less than 10 to create a new graver. If you use the 105 or 120 easy graver fixture it would be around 5 or a new graver and a lot less than that for a touch up. Time is money...

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Universal 116? I never heard of that one. I use 90, 105, and 120.

That's what it said on the template. ..

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It looks pretty good from the detail I can see.

40 minutes to sharpen 1 graver seems excessive. With a dual angle fixture from GRS it takes less than 10 to create a new graver. If you use the 105 or 120 easy graver fixture it would be around 5 or a new graver and a lot less than that for a touch up. Time is money...

Well it was my first one I ever sharpened. I was scared of messing it up, I would pause and check and recheck, comparing it to a presharpened graver.

Carlos De La O III

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've only been at this for a couple of years. I've never seen the templates. They are pretty cool. Don't be scared of messing up on sharpening. You fix it by grinding a little more. Don't sweat the stuff that is easily fixed. The fun is in the engraving not the sharpening.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Carlos,,The 116,Universal's face is to wide for what I do on firearms, but is fine for engraving script and also like the 120 for script lettering.Hope this is of help to you.Keep practicing and stay positive and it will all come together for you. J.J.

monk

Staff member
cant say about your facets-- cant see them. start out below a 600 grit. you'll spend less time. naturally, you wouldnt do the heel at the coarse grits. once you establish the correct geometry and degree of polish you want-- after that touchup on face or heels go quickly. don't forget to grind away some of tje top. no sense sharpening more face than need be.

Latest posts

Sponsors