Critique Request First Engravings!

vondershred

Hey y’all!

So today I picked up a used laserprinter to make transfers on some aluminum practice sheets. So I sat down after dinner and made my very first engraving. And I really mean FIRST. No handpushing no hammer and chisel, no prior experience.

I realize this is a far cry from the art that most of y’all post, and might be an insult to some. I’m just happy that after all these years I found and bought pneumatic engraving equipment. What I’m really hoping first is to have complete control over the handpiece, work on my technique, etc. I have to start somewhere I guess.

Gear used: GRS Graversmith, 901 handpiece, QC flat graver 0.4mm, Optivisor, thermo-loc, cheap Amazon ball vise. Thanks for viewing and your feedback! All advice welcome!

(PS: Sometimes I’m more comfortable with my foot down juuuuust a lil’ on the throttle. Especially on bends and small stuff. Makes the handpiece engrave much slower and less deep. Is this a technique I should “unlearn”? I feel like if I put the pedal to the metal it goes way too fast and deep. Is the foot throttle made so you can play with it, or should it be fully depressed all the time and should I lower the SPM and pressure on the Graversmith? The manual doesn’t specify…)

IMG_6779.png

Last edited:

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Vondershred

An insult to no one. We've all started at the same place, not knowing how the first engraving will come out. That's not a bad first effort. Looking forward to seeing your second.

monk

Staff member
well, i must say your first is way better than my first. with a basic interest, then practice, and finally dedication, you can go as far in this art as the finest engraver that ever posted here. it's just a matter of "making it happen". good luck in yer pursuit

DaveatWeirs

(PS: Sometimes I’m more comfortable with my foot down juuuuust a lil’ on the throttle. Especially on bends and small stuff. Makes the handpiece engrave much slower and less deep. Is this a technique I should “unlearn”? I feel like if I put the pedal to the metal it goes way too fast and deep. Is the foot throttle made so you can play with it, or should it be fully depressed all the time and should I lower the SPM and pressure on the Graversmith? The manual doesn’t specify…)
First, great work. as others have said just keep at it and you'll be flying in no time

In regards to your question about easing off on the throttle on corners, your instincts are correct, much like a car, slowing down on corners is a good idea. If you've got the time try do experiments trying out the different ways to see what works best for you. Lay out a bunch of corners and go around them real fast with not much power, slow with lots of power, fast with lots, slow with not much. Then examine them and try understand why each did or didn't work, what potential benefits from doing them in the different ways would be or how you could do them better if they have potential used. Also, doing an extreme version of something helps exaggerate potential problems you could have even doing the lesser/regular version which would help show you what to watch out for even when doing it the regular version.
One thing to remember too is that speed shouldn't be you goal, especially when starting off. Its better to do it slow and correct than do it fast and wrong. The speed will come with time and experience

vondershred

One thing to remember too is that speed shouldn't be you goal, especially when starting off. Its better to do it slow and correct than do it fast and wrong.
Hear hear. I just know I can’t be the only one who rushes to see the end result. Not to get it over with quickly to tend to more pleasant stuff than engraving *sarcasm*, but it’s just so much fun to do and even though I’m a total newb… I can look at the end result and really think “Wow, did I make that?” That’s more the feeling I’m rushing to.

I figured out myself rather quickly I shouldn’t rush, but it’s good to hear from someone else. I learned once the cut is made there’s no turning back. So it’s better indeed to stay focused, one line at a time, and take your time with it until
The speed will come with time and experience

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
One thing to remember too is that speed shouldn't be you goal, especially when starting off. Its better to do it slow and correct than do it fast and wrong. The speed will come with time and experience. (DaveatWeirs)

Could not agree with that more. And its something to try and keep in mind. Also don't forget Monk's rule : DRAW ! In addition to pulling things off the net to engrave, don't forget to get a sketch pad and draw. Just simple stuff to get started.

vondershred

One thing to remember too is that speed shouldn't be you goal, especially when starting off. Its better to do it slow and correct than do it fast and wrong. The speed will come with time and experience. (DaveatWeirs)

Could not agree with that more. And its something to try and keep in mind. Also don't forget Monk's rule : DRAW ! In addition to pulling things off the net to engrave, don't forget to get a sketch pad and draw. Just simple stuff to get started.
Hello again Allan,

Thanks for your input. I do draw, albeit on an iPad and PC. I snatched this of the net real quick just so I could start transfering and engraving right away to work on my technique.

Here’s my latest commissioned illustration for a mechanic friend of mine, should anyone be interested:

back.jpeg
Cheers,

Tristan.

Latest posts

Sponsors