Critique Request First completed practice plate (Phil Coggan design)

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you want to produce a transfer print with very thin black lines, print the "enlarged" design onto paper then draw over it using a 0.3 pencil onto tracing paper, make sure the lines are black thin and exact, then when you reduce to a transfer sheet they will be thin.

Sam has a good point though, I use it, especially for game scenes and portraits.

Phil

jbrayout

Very well done. Where did you find this drawing, looked under any Phil Coggan posts and didn't find it? This would really be helpful to use for practice;I have engraved for a couple of years and can't even get close to this.
Thanks,
Jenny

James Ashley

I have a question fir you. When u said u weren't happy with the shading lines untill u went to a heel free graver and got the results u wanted. Could u explain what u meant by heel free? Im not happy with the control im getting and would like to try something else but so far I haven't found what I'm looking for. It would probably help if I turned the tv off? Difficult to watch the World Series and shade at the same time. Guess muilt tasking take practice to.
Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,
I had tried a regular heeled 120 graver and couldn't seem to get the fine lines I was looking for. I had read Phil uses his bullion graver geometry for shading as well as his scenes. I simply got a template and tried that for shading myself. Worked much better for me. I have quite a bit of experience using a graver when stone setting so the lack of a traditional heel wasn't completely unnatural for me. I simply found being able to start with the graver very low to the plate and then raising to as I progressed much easier and far more natural for me. I have since gotten a little more used to my tools and now find it easier to cut the finer lines using regular geometry.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just a couple of things James, we all have our own ideas about what we like in a scroll, the same with all art and music, just develope your own style.

Also you missed the cross hatching on your plate, a lot of people don't use it, personally I think it's needed as it gives extra depth.....ask Sam ;)

Phil