First Bulino work

Hi guys, this is my first bulino job,
Bootylicious.jpg

The artwork was taken from this photo:

0сан-girl-beauty-sexy-попа-дев&#1091.jpg

The photo is not of the best quality, the practice plate is about 2" by 3" and looks a bit better in "real life" mostly because you cannot see the dots as you can with the picture above.

Tell me what you think of it, any comment is welcome.

Simone

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
to tell you the truth, the girl in the picture is sending a bit of a mixed message... (you did say "any comment is welcome")

as far as your work, i think you would be better off scaling down the size to maybe 1/2-2/3. 2"x3" is a pretty big area for dot bulino- like trying to paint your house with a #2 watercolor brush. also, when you're still climbing the learning curve smaller projects are usually better.

I know I should have gone for a smaller area but I realized that when I was already cutting so i kept going, and the thing sucked up a week of my life :)

Simone

I will try and redo it on a smaller area, I'll post the progresses in about a week, hopefully she will look better :)

Simone

j.c.

Simone,
Your size of the image is not a problem for practice.

In the real world of engraving you do not always get to pick and choose your canvas size or subject.

By the way your subject matter is great! I also understand photos on the web do not do justice to a piece in hand.

That being said….
“bulinoâ€â€¦ (a term I do not like)…is for all practical purposes simply a “half tone†rendering like in the printing industry. The only difference between “bulino†and a half tone printing plate is that one is accomplished by hand rather than simply acid etched. I would suggest you try to locate an actual half tone printing plate, even one example would move you far down the line to understanding what you are trying to accomplish.

The basic idea is to create a different “color/tone†from the parent metal. On an object this size to start…Lightly glass bead blasting your subject would be an option. By doing so you will change the base “color/ tone†of the skin of your subject from the parent metal….then go in and put in your shading.

To me, your shade dots are too heavy handed and not nearly enough of them. A lighter touch and closer spacing of your shade dots would help a lot; in other words… “It ain’t done yetâ€

Back to the bench!! :hammer: :thumbsup:
j.c.

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
BLACK ! the colour black is the most important..... IMHO! find a graver geo that will give you the colour black,, rub oil into your engraving...

Ok Guys,thanks everybody for the inputs and suggestions, here she is again, hopefully she looks better this time around:
ass New copy.jpg ass New Final.jpg

Again the photo quality is not great, but she almost looks like the photo when seen in the real world, the design is around one inch by 3 quarters of an inch.

I kept the dot really small and tried to shade it correctly, the hands were the hardest part together with the sword handle

Hope you like it,

Simone

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors