Finished Stock Gun

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil that looks like you had fun and let your creative side loose.
I really study your scrolls...and get alot of ideas for different leaf structures.
I always enjoy looking at your work....and I have learned so much...thank you.:tiphat:
I have yet to conquer that black leaf, but I believe I will get it soon.

Last edited:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, there's stock and there's stock, the difference is reflected in the price :biggrin:

Phil that looks like you had fun and let your creative side loose.
I really study your scrolls...and get alot of ideas for different leaf structures.
I always enjoy looking at your work....and I have learned so much...thank you.:tiphat:
I have yet to conquer that black leaf, but I believe I will get it soon.

Everything I do I have fun with, not really any restrictions, it's been this way for almost thirty years, the first couple I had a few patterns to copy.

The black leaf....as we know, engraving is stylized, the same goes for this leaf, but we can put our own mark on it, we are only restricted by our imaginations, but one has to bare in mind that as well as looking good, it can also look bad :)

Phil

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The difference is mostly in the product.

When methods for mass production prevail, you get castings and stamped out parts - instead of being constructed out of milled steel, machined to tight tolerances and and hand fitted individually...

I took 4 years of gunsmithing classes 30 years ago, thinking that I was going to go in the direction of gun engraving. But after seeing (and disassembling the guns) that the majority of engraving was likely going to be done on castings and stamped parts - I changed directions.

Would have stayed with it, had there been the kind of quality products made in the USA that you work on as a matter of course...

Brian

Last edited:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I could be wrong but I think the only quality shotguns now made in the States are Galazan, I have engraved a few for an American collector, however these days they are mostly machine produced and just hand finished, this includes the stocks and checkering which is lasered,

Phil

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The way the birds and scrolls flow in concert with the upward sweep really catches my eye. Another masterpiece indeed!
Layne

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
superb. It is the highlight of my surfing day to see a post from you Phil. I really appreciate you sharing, and taking the time to talk about your art. I hope one day to be able to do that kind of work. All I can say is wow, and I need to go practice more.

Mike