Finished editioning a new engraving

James_Ehlers

I recently finished editioning this engraving a few days ago. Yeah...I know...I'm a wierdo. It looks like I'll be able to finally go to dinner without ink under my fingernails. Tonight I'm going to a Cajun dinner here in Kansas. Yay!! Let's see how well they pull off the cooking.

There's more details on the print (size, pricing, etc.) and so on here...www.jamesehlers.org/rising_2.htm

Attachments

• rising2_sm.jpg
    rising2_sm.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 468

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,

Beautifully engraved. Are you a desciple of Salvador Dali's work? Do you find that surreal subjects are good sellers in the art print world or is this style of work what motivates you and marketing is secondary?

Thanks,

Roger

James_Ehlers

Jim,

Beautifully engraved. Are you a desciple of Salvador Dali's work? Do you find that surreal subjects are good sellers in the art print world or is this style of work what motivates you and marketing is secondary?

Thanks,

Roger

Dali is ok...I'm more into Joel Peter Witkin (photographer), Ivan Albright (painter) and Durer.

I don't really think about how anything will sell when I make it. My prints usually get a big response from people who can't afford them...so I printed 50 of these and priced them low.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like scary stuff like yours- with little creepy things peeking around the corner- just waitin for a chance to grab me or something evil like that. hieronymous bosch was my favorite painter. i so loved his scary little creepy crawlers. i once spent an entire afternoon at the national gallery in dc, lookin at bosch's insanity ! what a delight he was, and your work is !

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Hello James,
Awesome Print....
A GOOD read in the Engraver, as well...
Perhaps, GRS could add a print engraving class to next years schedule....
Keep posting your art...
Take Care,
Stephen

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like the plant from the "Little Shop of Horrors" but where is Seymour?
You did a nice job engraving the plate. Take any prints from yet?

James_Ehlers

What's it supposed to be?

It's a mummified cat surrounded by foilage. The focus of the work is to express the cyclical nature of existence...that all things feed off of eachother, that enerygy transfers from one thing to the next. It's a marriage of opposites in regards to the formal aspects of the image. The rendering style and composition animate what is typically inanimate and the quality of the engraved line elevate the aesthetic experience of the decaying animal.

James_Ehlers

Thanks for all the responses. It's been very interesting to hear what you guys see in the image...to answer a few questions...

The image I posted is the final print...I engraved into a copper plate for this one.

"How do I get a print?"

You can email me with your mailing info and I'll give you my address to send a check.

If you were meaning how to actually make one, I'll be writing a thorough article on it for FEGA soon. Basically you put ink on the plate and wipe the excess off. Place the plate on an etching press with a damp piece of paper on top of it. Roll it through the press and you've got an intaglio print. That's the very very very very short version of how to do it. I'm very thorough when I demo it.

Andrew Biggs

I ordered one of these prints from James when I first saw this thread.

Well, it arrived today and it is fantastic!!!!!!. The photo dosn't do it justice. The detail is incredible with the print being very sharp, clear and crisp on some very nicly textured paper.

For $28(US) it's a bargain and is a real work of art from a very talented man.

Thanks James, really appreciate it.

Cheers
Andrew

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
That's tallent!! Boy do I envy incredibly artistic skills.:D

I am a fan of Albrecht Durer as well. I've been studying his work for one of my projects. (That's a hint for Bill)

I really should go back underground for a bit and study study study.

Well done James ... excellent!

Last edited: