Finish on engraved Browning BPS

alfrisillo

These are pictures of a Browning BPS I started a long time ago. I decided it was finally complete but now need to put a final finish on it. Since blueing will make the engraving "fade" into the background, I am asking for suggestions from the forum on different finishing methods.

Attachments

• side1_web.jpg
    side1_web.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 305
  • side2_web.jpg
    side2_web.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 309

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
It comes down to salt bluing or rust bluing (rust browning). The original finish was done w/ salt bluing at the Miroku factory.
I like browning as it gives you more control but there is issues when you card off the rust.
You can always remove the bluing for a French gray look too. Just really watch the fine work or you'll quickly destroy it when carding.
Rust browning is often looked at as a form of voodoo magic. It's really not that hard to get a "blued" surface. It is hard to consistently get really good/deep colors on the various kinds of steels. Lots of "how to" that will help you start on the web. Practice first if you go this way.

Salt bluing is quick and effective, but you'll do more removal of the blued color to get the "look" you're going for. Just make sure they know they'll sleep with the fishes if they use a buffer on your work. If you've done surface prep right, it should need any buffing. Again, take something already salt blued to see the process of selectively removing the bluing.

The basic chemical reaction to stabilize the steel to oxidation is still there after "bluing removal". Just hit it about 1x/yr with a good clear liquid car wax to minimize any humidity/corrosion issues (old duck hunter/gunsmith trick). ;-) Oil her regular from there.

Practice makes perfect....

Dan

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
How about going with a "French Gray" finish? I'm curious about the dogs. They seem to be cartoonish compared to the bird work??. Peace,McAheon

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can blue and french grey the bulino parts should pop right out again, sorry did not see the comments but ill add this selective french grey..ha ha changed it up.

alfrisillo

Thanks for the input. You are right McAheon that the dogs appear a little cartoonish. that is because they were one of the very first things I engraved on the receiver a long time ago. The receiver shows progress over several years.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I should thing you could go back and add some detail to the dogs to bring them up to the level of the bird. Unless of course you want to keep the "progression" for posterity. Selective French gray would set it off and renaissance wax with a bit of lampblack added would be a good protective coating that would enhance the engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors