Findings to go with western bright cut?

firephil

I'm getting my feet wet in engraving and am searching out resources. Particularly lettering to solder on trophy buckles and such, does anyone know of a source for this? Thanks

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
We saw out our overlaid lettering, scrollwork and banners from sheet. Laid out with a pantograph.

Though I suppose you could transfer the letters nowadays using inkjet or laser printers and transparencies, I would think that with the kind of finger pressure and chips involved you would rub off the detail as you cut. Diamond drag letters are never going to be "erased" by working conditions. In fact, the scribed guidelines remain on the letters, scrolls and banners right through the soldering and polishing stages - something that is impossible for the transparency transfers.

All other findings for buckle backs, bridle sleeve buckles, concho loops and such are also made here in the shop.

Figures are cast here.

Brian

If you are interested, the time has come for me to cut down on some equipment, molds and inventory.

Last edited:

Luckyseven

Brian are you saying you make stuff like concho loops to sell or just telling us you have equipment for sale to make such findings?

Ty

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Indian jewelry supply has or will make about anything you need. There are a few others as well. In the Tips section here you will find a post of mine that has web sites for a wide variety of things. You will find several others there and a good deal more. Fred

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
No we don't make our findings for sale as such. Only finished work goes out of here...

However I do have some stuff that I no longer use much - rodeo figures, horseshow stuff, cutting & roping stuff, shotgun competion stuff. Molds to make them. I may also decide to part with some patterns & such.

Brian

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Brian is absolutely correct in his pantographing assessment. Better yet, is a computer pantograph. However, both are costly to a start up venture. Even more so if you are looking from a hobbyists perspective. There are a couple real inexpensive ways to achieve your goal of providing your own lettering for trophy buckles and such. Draw your design on a piece of paper by hand or by computer art program. Print out on any adhesive label type paper that you can buy at any Staples or stationary store. Peel the backing off the label with your design and apply to what ever metal sheet you desire. Using a Jewelers saw, begin sawing out your design. If you can't find any self adhesive type paper, just use elmers glue to adhere your design to the sheet metal. You will have to take care that you do not rub your fingers across the design printed on the paper as it will diminish crispness of the guide lines of your design.