Favorite simple motifs for difficult areas?

Howdy

I have seen a lot of old guns with heavy or full coverage where hard to reach areas were just done with a row of dot punches, a wriggle cut, or a row of alternating short curves. Most of these don’t hold up to close inspection and a lot can’t really be compared to modern standards of clean careful work and probably shouldn’t be.

There are plenty of motifs that I see used that make quick work of an area in a moneymaking way without half-you know whatting the job, drawing attention to the more fancy areas of scroll or ornament.

To me a good example would be the cut diagonal grid with dot punches, sort of simulating a tufted leather with buttons look.

I’d love to hear discussion of what ornaments we see, especially on concaves or tight spots, that are great, your favorites to use, or should fall to the side as no longer acceptable or hack work to the modern eye.

Thanks!
Kevin

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like people who might be so into music they can’t appreciate silence. Or someone who thinks a quiet moment in nature, with some birds singing or the breeze in the trees, could always be “improved” with a symphonic soundtrack. Yeah, they p!ss me off…

Sponsors