Question: Experienced gun selling help needed

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to ask those members of the forum to weigh in on their experiences with the various websites designed to help you sell your guns. :biggrin: Have any of you tried them? :rolleyes: Was it a pleasant experience? :cool: Would you do it again? :thinking: Anything to watch out for? :eek:

Thanks in advance for the knowledge I know is out there! :clapping: :thumbsup: :tiphat:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ed,My wife designed my website,nothing fancy pretty simple.When I get a call about engraving or teaching I ask where did you hear about me,the answer is always I googeled gun engraver or engraving schools.My name out there on the internet, amazing and I live in gun friendly Virginia.I've learn to market myself early on,doing guns all over the east coast.Hope this helps.J.J.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, JJ. I have a website and people contact me about my engraving from it, but I am asking more about the sites like gunbroker.com and gunsofamerica.com, etc. I am looking to start selling some of my "display" guns for lack of a better word. The ones I take to shows for the public to see. I think I need a sales site rather than an auction site, but I'm not sure, and would like some feedback on other folks experiences with the sites that are out there.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed, You might try adding a "currently available" on your web site. You could note that you are making room for new display pieces if you wanted a why are you selling. You might also try high end gun shops that cater to cynosure's of fine weapons. You have probably thought of both these but I wanted to be first to mention. Fred

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred, you got me into the dictionary with that "cynosure". Well done. I am looking for a way to sell without having to do all of the "legwork" of doing it on my own, if you see what I mean.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ, I checked out guninternational.com, but it looks like a clearing house for other websites. Every link I clicked on just showed me links to related and unrelated websites. I don't know if I got the wrong site, but I don't think that is what I'm after. Thanks for the effort, though!

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No, it wasn't a spelling boo boo. That's how it's spelled. But I had never heard the word before, so I had to look it up!

You don't always learn what you want to know on the forum, but you always learn something!!!

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed,
I traded for an 1886 Browning 45-70 off there (gun broker) a couple years ago and it went smoothly, no complaints. It's a bit like ebay in that you have to do your research into a sellers feedback and all that and if you sell you'll gradually build a reputation based on feedback. Hope that helps.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Recommend you hit them all to get your name/product out there but put a reserve or buy it now option. Biggie is to ensure everyone knows it's for sale on other sites also. I've used all of them for years, but you'll want to look at costs they charge for use of their sites.

--auction arms has a continuous penny auction - great option to if you just want to sell and be done
--gun broker is the largest of all of them
--arms list is the garage sale auction of them all
--guns america and guns international are typically the higher end items but are known to all as being high price...thus lower traffic

Best middle ground (JMHO) is gun broker.

Dan Gerdes
Afghanistan

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've used all three you mentioned but prefer Gunbroker. Everything works smoothly and that's where most of the traffic is if you want to get stuff sold.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed, Got this in my email this morning-James Julia Fall Auction, Fred

Spectacular Firearms & Militaria Auction
Consignments will soon close for our Fall 2012 sale.

If you have one item or an entire collection you'd like to get into
our spectacular Firearms auction scheduled for
Saturday Sept. 29 and Sunday Sept. 30, 2012
contact us immediately.
Please note our Fall firearms auction will take place approximately a week earlier than usual. This is so it will not conflict with the Colt Collectors Association Annual Convention. This auction will include Session I of the spectacular Dr. John & Margaret Pickup Collection of rare Colts from Tasmania, which we will be advertising soon. Also included in this exciting auction will be Session II of the historic Wes Adams Collection, exquisite Winchesters, rare Colts and Marlins, and the initial offering of Wes' Savage firearm collection. This is probably the finest private assemblage of Savage rifles ever. Also included in this auction will be a superb offering of high quality sporting rifles and shotguns, rare civil war arms, important military and Class III items, historic items and much, much more. If you have one item or an entire collection and would like to be part of this extraordinary auction please contact us immediately.

CONSIGNMENT DEADLINE -- August 10, 2012

If you are considering consigning one item or a collection, we would like the opportunity to discuss the possibility of inclusion in this sale but YOU MUST ACT SOON!

Please email your photos to firearms@jamesdjulia.com
or call 207-453-7125; ask for Wes Dillon, or Judy Labbe.

For a preview of this spectacular auction:
http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_catalog_327_sh.asp

Birddog97

I have used Gunbroker on several occasions to both buy and sell. I never had any problems. It's very much like ebay. Most of my friends and clients all use Gunbroker. Gunauction.com is also very good for buying and selling. I have not used it as much as Gunbroker. They are both well known. There is a company out of Houston one of my client uses and speaks highly of. They are at Collectorsfirearms.com. They deal in fine collections and higher end weaponry. I have never used them, but my client buys quite a bit from them.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Ed,
I am surprised no one has mentioned gunsinternational. It is worth a look-see
gail

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gail, someone did mention guninternational (without the s), but I'll check out the site with the s and see if it's different. (i'm guessing it will be. Thanks

Latest posts

Sponsors